register for free

Dog News

Facelifts for Dogs

Facelifts for bulldogs and pugs have surged, it was reported last night.

The Royal Veterinary College has revealed the number of operations on dogs to remove excess skin has risen by more than 80 per cent in the past four years.

Without facelifts, some pets can be at risk of going blind or dying because their airways are blocked - but the surgery can set owners back up to £2,000.

It was reported last night that the rise in celebrity ownership of the animals was behind the rise in the number of operations.

The number of procedures has increased from an average of 30 five years ago to more than 260 a year, according to Dr Gert ter Haar, senior lecturer at the Royal Veterinary Collegs.

Celebrity owners such as Johathan Ross, Kelly Brook and Kelly Osborne have fuelled the rise in popularity of owning pedigree pooches.

Dr Haar told The Daily Telegraph: 'We are treating a lot of pugs but it is because they are very popular due to celebrities.
...[ship]...
Dr Haar said he handles four to five of pet facelifts every week - but only do so if there is a medical reason.

He said: 'Breeding has led to shortening of muscles in their faces.Most are fine, but we see the ones that have problems because of their breeding.'
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...our-years.html

Poor dogs. Why do so many people want to copy celebrities?

Your comments and views:
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2014, 02:40 PM
My Shar-Pei Georgina has had five "facelifts" which were done because at 4 months old she developed severe entropion. The total cost of the operations came to nothing like £2000. Had it not been for medical reasons I wouldn't have dreamed of subjecting her to the trauma of having an operation that was purely for cosmetic reasons.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I wish they had not called it a "facelift" because it is not. Like Georgina, these operations are done for medical, not cosmetic reasons.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 08:01 AM
I don't like the word "facelift" either but found when trying to explain Georgie's operations to people it was easier to use "facelift" than the correct word which is "tacking". Tacking by the way is the removal of a sliver of skin from the forehead before stitching the skin back together again.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top