register for free

Dog News

Dogs can tell if you are not trustworthy...

...has received 13 comments (page 2)
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm kind of torn on the subject of wolf dogs. I can see how it might depend very much on % of wolf and most important the experience and training of the owner. A moderately low % of wolf and careful socialization with a skilled owner and you could have an awesome gorgeous dog. With the wrong situation you could have "Grizzly Man". I don't know.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2015, 05:58 PM
As with any dog, an owner can screw up big time. Wolf crosses are no different. As with any dog, you need to read read read, research research research. You have to accept certain traits that you will not be able to train out ... A digger will always be a digger, and you must be able to handle this. Not all wolf crosses are diggers, but many are. They all have a high prey drive, so you can't get stressed if they pounce on a squirrel and crunch it up like Ben and tai did once ... You can't be squeamish about such things. Otherwise, apart from the need for a raw diet, they are no different really from any other dog.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2015, 10:35 PM
I suppose you're perfectly right Gnasher. Like the bully breeds, well any breed really. If we're educated and know what to expect from our pups it's all good. The problems come when people who don't know what they're doing try to own challenging breeds.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2015, 09:29 AM
So true! One of the worst examples of this is what i call the snowdog syndrome. They've seen the film and they want one. So a high energy, high prey drive, extremely intellugent siberian husky or even worse malamute, ends up in a totally unsuitable home ... and it us always the poor dog who suffers, passed round from home to home, misunderstood, often abused.

This describes my Ben to perfection. What never ceases to amaze me is how dogs so readily forgive humans for the tortures they have suffered.

Last night Ben actually allowed me to use the stripping tool on him for the very first time ever! He was muzzled but it really wasnt necessary. I stripped off a ton of fluff, so much that his collar is now on the tightest hole! Bearing in mind the pain he has been put through this level of trust is the most amazing feeling and very humbling!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top