register for free

Dog News

Recognition for Obi, the police dog injured in the Tottenham riots

A police dog who was injured during the Tottenham riots has had his contributions recognised not once, but twice! He is to receive a bravery award from the International Fund for Animal Welfare and has today been named Londoner of the Day by London24, which recognises Londoner's in the capital doing something special.

Obi, a three-year-old German Shepherd, was hit on the head by a brick on August 6 when rioters showered police with missiles. Brave Obi carried on working for hours until he became lethargic and blood began to trickle from his nostril. After being rushed to a vet, he was transferred to The Queen's Veterinary School Hospital in Cambridge, where a CT scan showed he had a fractured skull.

Obi was signed off work to recover at home, where he lives with his handler PC Wells and his family. He will receive his bravery award at the House of Lords on Tuesday, 18 October.

There were eight dogs injured in Tottenham that night, sustaining injuries including cuts, bruises and broken teeth.

Your comments and views:
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 12:36 PM
That is lovley to hear.

I hope he and all the other dogs make a good recovery.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 02:11 PM
It is great that Obi's bravery and dedication to duty has been recognised ... not that he will be bothered - but it will be nice for his handler. Hopefully it will also make certain purse-string holders realise just what a good and important job that police dogs do and stop cutting numbers ... but I doubt it somehow.

I hope Obi and his handler enjoy their night in the limelight

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top