register for free

Dog News

Call for ban on electric shock collars

...has received 236 comments (page 14)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Mr. Bulldog, please do yourself a favor and don't call opinions "100% correct". An opinion is an opinion. We all have ours, and none are really any more correct than the next. Moreover, the comprehensive, lengthy, well thought out replies here do not resemble a teenager's responses to me. I don't know what kinds of teenagers you live around though.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2015, 12:02 AM
The individual above has missed the point of my statement entirely and I dont have the heart to correct them. Someone else can do it if they want.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 12:25 AM
If I have missed the point, I'll admit it. Please, do explain what you meant. Having the "heart" to do it is not needed.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2015, 01:05 AM
But you see my friend that was the point, peoples opinions are just that, and they are certainly as entitled to that opinion as the next person. Where the fun starts is when folk become possessed of the idea that their opinion is law and decide to stamp that opinion onto everyone else and shout down any dissent seemingly in the belief that being loud and obnoxious automatically makes them correct.
If there was a "comprehensive, lengthy, well thought out" discussion to be had here it has long since fallen by the wayside, its now a couple of peoples comically overblown ego's attacking and defending. Although I will admit as someone with nothing invested in the situation its rather entertaining...

Right amigo I'm off to find the option to stop this site emailing me every time someone posts and then I'm off to the breed specific boards as the US kennels are starting to come online now.

Peace.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 01:27 AM
Fair enough. It has disintegrated to some degree. You're right
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2015, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulldog
This has got to be the most astounding thread this relatively twee little board has ever seen, multiple grown adults have devolved to the level of teenagers over a person or persons failing to share their exact opinion (which is 100% correct beyond all contestation of course). Half the posts contain some degree of personal attack and most likely the only reason the mods haven't stepped in is because half of them are knee-deep in it themselves.

Play on ladies and gentlemen...
Twee and little? Sorry but that made me LOL

As far as I am aware, no mod has 'stepped in' here either

Why not share your opinion on the topic? Or are you worried it won't go down very well here? (apologies if I've missed it!)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 02:30 AM
As if his opinion going over well matters at this point. Everyone is arguing, his opinion would merely start another argument. The moderators rarely step in. We can argue like adults and not resort to name calling and underhanded insinuations. That is fine, even if we cannot agree. When it get immature beyond normal adult debate, the mods step in, and imo it has not gotten there yet.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Lizzie, I believe I said that his recall was good in the garden and added the vital words "for what that's worth" in other words acknowledging the fact that that doesn't prove much.

My experience of the e collar is the exact opposite of your's - mainly because of the breeds in question I suspect! Next door's GSD was trained for a specific purpose with a dogtra which was then sold to us for Ben because their Ben no longer had the need for it. Ben's half brother, woody, who we gave to a farmer friend who attended a lot of shoots all over the country used an e collar to ensure that woody remained on his peg or butt, I never know which it is - and not keep raiding all the other guns' birds. Both these dogs have never looked back and never wear an e collar. Personally, I would never take the risk and as I have already stated my dog will continue to wear his collar, ban or no.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 08:51 AM
O come on now, I like Mr bulldog, he is highly amusing and entertaining! And right of course!! I love being described as loud and obnoxious - it is probably extremely true because being such a passionate animal lover, in particular dogs and even more in particular wolf crosses, I am more than aware that I can become very over the top which would be considered as obnoxious to some peeps.

Please come back Mr bulldog, I like the cut of your gyb!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Myra, I don't think we are arguing mate, I think we are having an extremely interesting and serious debate, with passions on both sides. What spoils it is when certain people cannot resist the temptation to GNAshER bash, just for the sake of it, and refuse to accept that I am telling the truth when I say my Ben has been revolutionised by this e collar, he has metamorphosed miraculously seemingly into this wonderful mythical creature that I thought I would never have the privilege to own! He is still a free spirit, still bolshy, unruly sometimes, still Ben, still norty, but obedient when he knows we want him to come, to sit, to lie down.

We had a power cut last night until very late - by the light of candles we had to gently clean his ear with ear wipes and then squeeze drops in ... Something that previously was impossible to do without the vet, vet nurse and oh holding him down, and wearing a muzzle!! He never even growled bless him.

This level of trust between human and dog I believe has been partially achieved by teaching Ben, via the e collar, that we want him to obey our commands and in turn, he has answered by at last placing his trust in us. It is a very humbling experience ... This is why I believe so passionately in the use of the e collar for certain dogs. It is not a fit's all device, but as a last resort it should never be ruled out.
Page 14 of 24 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top