register for free

Dog News

Royal Mail launches inquiry into dog attacks

The Royal mail has announced the launch of an independent inquiry into dog attacks, saying there are almost 4000 attacks on its postal workers a year. Campaigners have been calling for measures and legislation to deal with “dangerous dogs” - the aim of this inquiry is to make recommendations to reduce the number of dog attacks.

Royal Mail chairman, Donald Bydon, announcing the inquiry which will be led by former high court judge Sir Gordon Langley, said: “It is an offence to decency that good people should suffer these attacks when carrying out their daily jobs and serving the public.”

Campaigner Dave Joyce supports the inquiry. Mr Joyce, who is the national safety officer of the Communication Workers Union (CWU), said: “This is a very positive and welcome development at a key moment and will definitely raise the profile of the issue and influence the public and political debate and strengthen the case for change which is overwhelming and must not be further delayed.”

Figures were reported as follows:

The number of attacks are between 3500 to 4000 a year.
Since 2006, more than 24,000 postmen and women have been attacked on their rounds.
Royal Mail have spent in excess of £100,000 on campaigns and equipment to reduce the risk of injury.
Nearly 400 postmen and women have been off sick after a dog attack - 4100 working days have been lost at a cost of approximately £400,000.

The CWU said that despite Prime Minister David Cameron saying that he supported its campaign for tougher laws against dangerous dogs two years ago, no changes have been made.

Your comments and views:
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Interesting read......have to say though we have had two posties in the past that seemingly found it funny to tap the window at the dog...hence one very wound up dog
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree - interesting! However, what do Royal Mail deem to be a dog "attack"? We used to have a postie who would shout through teh letterbox to wind up the dogs then would put in complaints about them attacking him when they flew at the front door.

Fortunately, I have a porch and when I pointed out to Royal Mail that the postie beforehand had always used that letterbox and the letters dropped onto the porch floor, and that the current (now previous) postie didn't need to open the porch door in order to shout through the letterbox of my front door, they eventually reprimanded the postie and I got a full apology. It wasn't without some arguing though.

I agree that dogs likely to cause a problem to those just doing their jobs should be kept under control but the fools who deliver mail and decide it's a good idea to upset a dog should be dealt with just as severely IMO.
andy55
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2012, 03:56 PM
From the Dog's point of view. Postmen is a threat to there turf and must be seen of. From the owners point the dog is just doing it's job. Answer. Put a mail box outside the house and inform the Post office. Problem solved.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top