register for free

Dog News

Junior the Bloodhound gets second plastic surgery procedure

A Bloodhound from North Yorkshire has undergone two plastic surgery procedures in a couple of years; the total vet bills adding up to more than Ł10,000. The Bloodhound was given a facelift in 2009 and has recently had a tummy tuck – both operations were performed because he suffers from condition which causes excess skin to develop.

Owners Denise and David Smart explained that five-year-old Junior developed problems with his eyesight, resulting in the removal of an eyelash. Suffering from excess skin over his eyes, he then began to suffer from entropion – where the eyelid turns in towards the eye – and a corneal ulcer and risked going blind. He was referred to ophthalmic surgeon Gary Lewin - who said it was one of the worst cases he'd seen - and given a facelift in a three-hour operation, allowing him to see.

More recently, the skin on Junior's tummy began to droop and infection set in after having two benign tumours removed from the chest area. He underwent three operations at the beginning of this year to remove excess flaps of skin which were stopping him from running. He needed 39 stitches.

Junior's owners said he has a new lease of life. Denise Smart said: “We absolutely wouldn't have done anything differently, he's so much happier.

He must have felt awful for so long. He's like a child to us.

We have insurance so we haven't spent our money – but if we didn't have insurance we would have still paid for the treatment.”

Your comments and views:
Yoshi'sMom
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
What a wonderful story! You have given me more than one reason to take out pet insurance on my BH's. They are amazing companions and sooo intelligent, loyal, and loving. But they do require lots of TLC and looking after because of health issues. Give Junior hugs and kisses from me and mine!!!

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top