register for free

Dog News

Change in bylaw – guide dogs allowed to use moving escalators

A collaboration between Transport for London (TfL) and the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association has resulted in a change to the bylaw requiring all dogs to be carried on escalators. The update to the bylaw came into force on 5 October 2011, allowing visually impaired and other disabled people with trained assistance dogs to be able to use moving escalators legally for the first time on the Tube, Docklands Light Railway and London Overground. They may use the escalators in the absence of other means of accessing the stations

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association examined the safest techniques for taking dogs on and off escalators, testing them in conjunction with TfL. The research proved that dogs can be trained to travel on escalators.

A training course has been developed by the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, which guide dog owners will have to undertake in order to be able to use the escalators.

Your comments and views:
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I can't say I see this as a good thing I am afraid. This is a really dangerous thing to do with a dog, trained or otherwise and whilst it may speed life up for some people, I think this is yet another example of the dogs not being fully considered. They may be mobility aids but they have hair and feet and tails and are only as good as their handler

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top