register for free

Dog News

Another taxi driver refuses to take guide dog Chipp

For the second time in five months, a blind man has had passage for his guide dog refused by a taxi driver. The first incident in January resulted in the driver for Gary's Taxis in Letchworth, Herts receiving a caution after a disciplinary hearing. (See the story here: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=166372 ). The latest incident involved a driver for Stevenage Taxis, Herts.

Political lobby journalist Sean Dilley had booked the taxi to take him across town to a local vets but when the taxi arrived, the driver would not take his assistance dog, Chipp. Mr Dilley told a local newspaper that when he pointed out the law to the driver, he was told that Chipp could travel in the boot of the car.

Mr Dilley said: “We called the office on speaker phone and Stevenage Taxis told him he had to take the guide dog but the driver became rather loud and threatening. He objected to having a ‘dirty dog’ in his car.

“The office sent another car and apologised, telling me they would call the driver in. Before parting, the driver demanded money from me to clean hair from his car where we had initially sat in it.

“This is the latest disgusting and unacceptable refusal to carry my guide dog. They are vital mobility aides for the blind and the law recognises this and outlaws their refusal. Unfortunately the message isn’t getting through to taxi drivers, some of whom think the law doesn’t apply to them. I call on Stevenage Borough Council to prosecute and I assure the driver that if they don’t, I will take out a private prosecution.”

Because of the potential prosecution, Stevenage Taxis reportedly said they would not comment, but confirmed that Mr Dilley is a “long-standing account customer” of the firm.

In an online comment on the story, Mr Dilley said that he always informs taxi companies that he has a guide dog.

A Stevenage Borough Council spokesperson said there would be a full investigation, adding: “Under the terms of their licence, taxi drivers are obliged to carry assistance dogs unless they have been granted an exemption from doing so by the council. There are currently six licensed drivers out of 298 who have exemptions. These have been given on medical grounds only. Drivers with an exemption carry a certificate to indicate this.”

Your comments and views:
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-07-2012, 09:40 AM
"There are currently six licensed drivers out of 298 who have exemptions."

So now all the other 292 drivers who object for whatever reason will suddenly develop an 'alergic reaction' to dogs and be allowed to continue to refuse dogs on medical grounds and continue to apply their moronic attitude (so that disabled people with guide dogs will be at a disadvantage,) oh well that's the old story of a vocal miniority abusing the silent majority.

I hope that Mr. Dilley is true to his word and does take the taxi firm to court, they certainly deserve to be punished for employing such an ignorant driver.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Not just taxi drivers, my mam came in from work yesterday and informed me one of her students had been forced to leave the school because the head said that her guide dog wasn't allowed in the building.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I hope they check the medical assessments and not just take their word for it. I hope he takes them to court too!
Tazer - that's awful, tho I do feel for a dog having to go to school... would hate to imagine what the kids might do to the dog/tease it etc.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
She's leaving soon and is still training with her dog, they'd gone in to visit.

Tbh the schools rigged with CCTV, so any teasing of the dog would be noticed and dealt with.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I hop the man takes the Taxi company to court. I know (frome xperience) that the LA will doo sweet FA to help him, regardless of what evidence he has etc.

I hope he gets an absolute fortune in compensation from them and they are fined thousands. With any luck, their licences will be revoked and they'll be shut down - although I know that's wishful thinking.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2012, 07:36 AM
I don't think it would be fair to take the company to court, unless they don't deal with this individual driver.
By the sound of it the company told the driver to take the man with his dog where he wanted to go, they probably had no previous concerns for this driver as they may not have asked him about it.
I would be making sure that the company deal with the driver in what ever way they see fit, eg making sure that he treats guide dogs with the respect they deserve or sacking him if he refuses. If they don't then something needs doing with the company. And that they also talk with all the other drivers to make sure they don't also have a problem with it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2012, 07:58 AM
To begin with you cannot "develop an allergy" without written confirmation by a medical professional. This is the same as at work, we do not take the word of an employee who states he has a medical condition, that has to be diagnosed and documented by a health professional. Therefore I think any fears that mass allergies may break out are unfounded.

As for the taxi firm in question I think shutting them down etc is not going to achieve anything (apart from mindless revenge).

It is, after all, the actions of one driver that has put them at risk.

What might be a better option is to review their policies and procedures and get each individual driver that they employ/use (as some are on a self employed/contractor basis) sign a document which clearly states they understand their legal obligations to carry assistance dogs and what the consequences for failure are.

It sounds to me as though their induction procedures are somewhat less than robust.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
SB - "It sounds to me as though their induction procedures are somewhat less than robust."

What induction procedures ? most of the taxi firms I've ever been involved with operate on a "You have a car, we give you customers" basis and precious little beyond that, I am NOT lumping all taxi firms in this but they are hardly the type of firm to operate best business practice and I'm willing to bet there isn't one in the UK which has ISO9000 or any similar 'best practice' accreditation (Not that ISO9000 means a lot anyway )

The local council who hand out the licences could do more, but I expect they will plead poverty and lack of staff, we've seen that before. Still at least there is some control, in Czech Republic you'd need to be mentally insane to get in a taxi 'tho I'm also willing to bet they would all take your dog.....................and your cat................and your chickens..............and even your goat if you wanted them too

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top