register for free

Dog News

Number of dogs in rescue increases

The economic downturn has had a knock-on effect on animals, with charities such as Dogs Trust reporting an increase in the number of dogs in rescue centres. Dogs picked up by local authorities in Wales increased in number to over 10,000 in 2012.

Rescue centres say they are already finding it difficult to re-home them and fear things can only get worse as families re-evaluate their financial priorities.

Watch here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20982875

Your comments and views:
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
LS - Thanks for posting that, it's so sad isn't it Usually I don't look at these news items because there's so very little I can do, yes I send donations whenever I can but I would really like to take every abandoned dog home with me, and of course I can't
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Rhodi was stunning so glad he has found a forever home - he'll like it in Porthcawl, some lovely dog friendly beaches around there. Hope all the other dogs get new homes soon, too. Thanks for posting Linda!
kelseypringle22
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2013, 08:06 PM
This is really sad, I feel so horrible for them their helpless I wish I was able to take them all home with me too!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2013, 01:08 AM
As long ago as 7 yrs I was told in the UK that more and more 'older' dogs were being put in the rescues because their owners couldn't afford the vet bills for them.

I found that especially sad as I cannot imagine having a doggy friend and companion for 10 yrs or so and then just abandoning them because they were suffering from some of the same ailments that afflict us humans as we get older.

I can understand the poster who said they don't read these articles because they can't do anything about it. It used to break my heart when working as a volunteer in a sanctuary to see the sights. I had to firm my resolve to just look after the animals I OWNED the best I could and do what is possible for the unfortunates by way of work or money. But in the knowledge that I couldn't possibly 'save them all' and only make a small difference to a very tiny minority of them.
perks
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2013, 05:53 AM
I help in an rescue centre, and we had a dog brought in that could not open its mouth, when it was a pup it was attacked by another dog, the owner took it to the vet and the vet just said it was in the dogs mind and didnt do a thing about it, 3 years on it was brought to the centre still not able to open its mouth, we had it x rayed to find the hole of one side of it jaw bones had been broken and because it was a pup at the time the bones had grown all deformed it had a 4 hour operation, and for the first time it can eat properly and play, it has still got to go for a further op to its teeth, but its doing well now. perks

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top