register for free

Dog News

Child speaks out in support of the dog that injured her

A seven-year-old girl whose upper lip was injured in a Gillingham pub by the landlords' dog spoke out in support of the dog. She said that she did not want four-year-old Ginty destroyed and did not blame her – but blamed her owners.

The incident happened after Ginty, a bull mastiff was let out of a private area by “someone”. Actual events are unclear but Ginty was playing happily with the little girl before the injury occurred.

Initially, landlords Dave Skinner and Elayne Wilson denied the charges, reportedly being advised to do so to save Ginty from being put to sleep. However, new guidelines on dangerous dogs meant that Ginty could return home under a control order set down by Medway magistrates and on advice from a solicitor, the couple changed their plea, admitting allowing Ginty to be dangerously out of control.

The child's injury required four external stitches and more inside her mouth, leaving a faint scar which it is thought should eventually disappear. The court accepted that the injury was caused by a nip, not a bite, that Ginty was a placid dog of previous good behaviour and ordered that after spending nine months in kennels, she should return home “as soon as possible”. Ginty will will now have to be muzzled in public.

Mr Skinner and Miss Wilson were ordered to pay compensation to police of over £5000 to cover kennel costs, a £500 fine and £300 court costs.

The child's family are reported to be taking civil action against the couple for compensation for the injury.

Your comments and views:
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh dear, I am not sure how I feel about a child making a plea bargain for a dog.

In any case, here again is the result of poor judgement and insufficient control of a dog by its owners.

It was ENTIRELY avoidable. sigh.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't like th idea of a child the same age as my Son doing this either. having said that, at least Ginty didn't lose her life.

Furthermore, I don't agree with the £5000 kennel costs. The owners didn't choose to pu thte dog in kennels. The previous behaviour of the dog could easily have been established long before 9 months of kennelling had passed.

Question - where were the parents of the girl who was nipped? No doubt not paying attention. I wonder what the girl did to the dog - teased her, played with her, hurt her etc whilst nobody was looking.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't understand why it's wrong for the girl to speak out in defence of the dog. I think it shows great maturity on her part that she recognises that it's the humans at fault, not the dog. If only more people could get that into their thick skulls!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I was bitten by a german shepherd when I was 5. I had 4 stitches in my arm. No one asked me, they put my beloved Sheba (a friend's dog) to sleep before I was out of the hospital. No one asked what had happened.

I was devastated when I found out and have never forgiven myself. Sheba had bitten and grabbed my arm to drag me away from the gate, she had been barking at a strange man coming up the drive. I went to drag her away and she dragged me behind her and then went back to barking at the man. I dont know who the man was (might have been the post man) But I knew then and still know that Sheba was protecting me.

I knew the fault was mine, I shouldn't have grabbed her collar. Sheba was a good dog. She would never have hurt me. But when the family heard her barking then came out to find me crying in shock with a bite to my arm, they took me to hospital and her to the vets. No one else saw the man.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Magpye, thats such a sad story about Sheba

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top