register for free

Dog News

Round of apaws for Dermot O’leary’s online message

As we approach Christmas, TV star Dermot O’leary reminds the public that A Dog is For Life, Not Just for Christmas. Dogs Trust, the UK’s largest dog welfare charity, has teamed up with Dermot O’Leary this Christmas to urge the public to stop and think before browsing online for a puppy this Christmas. The TV presenter and huge dog lover is supporting the charity’s 2011 Christmas campaign by warning about some of the pitfalls of picking up a quick puppy purchase.

Dermot says: “The internet seems the most obvious place to go for most things these days, but it pays to do your research before you buy a dog. What you see online isn’t always what you get. My advice would be to always see the puppy with its Mum and you can’t do this on an internet page.”

Recent research conducted by Dogs Trust reveals that over a third of children have asked for a puppy as a present. The charity, which is well known for its slogan ‘A dog is for life, not just for Christmas’, believes that part of the reason puppies are considered suitable “gifts” is the fact they are sold so easily though pet shops, newspapers and websites. Despite repeated pleas and online warnings, a worrying 18% of parents would buy a dog online for their children.*

Dermot continues: “By buying a puppy from a website you could end up fuelling the cruel practice of puppy farm breeding, where dogs are bred intensively for profit with little or no thought for their welfare. Sadly, these puppies can end up online for a quick and easy sale and you could end up heartbroken and out of pocket with vet fees.”

Your comments and views:
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
It's good that the message is getting out there - I just wish people would see these puppies as living, breathing animals and just the Ł signs
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
People who buy dogs as presents for children do distress me. A pet is an adult responsiblity, and only something you should buy if YOU want.

I met a lady who had bought a boxer for her 10 year old last week. Whilst I was chatting to her, she said to her son 'are you listening, this is your dog, you're the one doing all the training...'

Good on Dermot though
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
While i understand this is true for a large amount of children i dont think its fair to tar them all with the same brush. When i was 15 we got Kiska at christmas and she is still with us and a much adored family member. I walked her, trained her and looked after her most her life ( I couldnt take her to uni which was very hard but once back again took over from my parents)

So as long as the message that a dog is for life and is a huge responability (sp?) is gotten across then whats wrong with getting one at christmas? For our family it was time when we were all together and had the most time to settle a new pup into the house and family getting them used to a rountine.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top