register for free

Dog News

Convicted – couple who threw dog from a slipway into the sea

A four-year-old dog was repeatedly thrown from a slipway into the sea by her cruel owners. The incident happened in Exmouth, Devon. With the concrete Mamhead Slipway just below the surface of the water, the black-and-tan terrier, Jess, was at serious risk of injury.

The incident was caught on camera by an eye witness. Both the owners, John Nesbitt, 62, and Linda Jones, 51, were seen throwing Jess at least four times. Her body was described as twisting in the air as she headed towards the sea.

When interviewed by police, the couple claimed they were throwing Jess into the sea to cool her down on a hot April day. Jones initially denied throwing the dog, stating: “Mr Nesbitt did. I could not have thrown her into the sea, I couldn't pick her up, she is too heavy to throw into the sea.” Later admitting throwing the dog, she said she 'plopped' her in and said she'd do it again. “Whoosh, she goes to the bottom and up she comes. She is 18 inches tall and shakes herself off. She swims out of the sea - doggy paddles. It wasn't that shallow, the tide was coming in.” The eye witness' photographs, however, showed the true story, with Jess being hurled up into the air towards the sea, her body twisting uncomfortably.

Although Jess was luckily unhurt, vet David Cooper advised Exeter magistrates that she could have suffered spinal, leg and jaw injuries after twisting and plunging into the sea. The couple were subsequently convicted of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. Sentencing was adjourned until next month but the Crown want a life ban on them keeping animals and an order depriving them of Jess. Jess is currently in foster care.

Couple have convictions overturned - see update here: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...27#post2542327

Your comments and views:
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I saw this in the Daily Mail online (pics are there).

I wonder if the couple would like to be chucked into the sea themselves. Idiots. I'm glad the dog was taken from them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Thank goodness the little dog is safe , don't you just hate some members of our species
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm with Labradork on this one, I'll help her do it!!! Absolutely barbaric imo THEN, they have the cheek to try and talk themselves out of the despicable act they did knowing full well WHAT they did!!!! I hope that poor little dog, nor any other animal species ever has the misfortunte to cross these evil people again!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Agree with all the comments so far - chuck them in and see how they like it!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Bloody horrors

Have you seen the Mails site people? They said they threw her in coz its was a hot day yet they have big coats on and jumpers. Sickos
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
If she really thought she had done nothing wrong - why deny doing it in the first instance?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Thank goodness Jess is safe, hopefully now in good hands.

Hope the couple are banned from keeping dogs and hope they live to regret what they did...

Wys
x
luvmybabies
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I sometimes go to bed at night after letting my little ones outside for their last potty break before bed--wondering what horrible things dogs and cats might be going through at that moment. Morbid I know but I worry all the time about defenseless trusting animals who are mistreated by the REAL ANIMALS-the so called humans.

This story is so painful to read. Who in their right-mind could do such a thing?

We need stiffer penalties nationally for animal abuse and neglect.

Susan

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top