register for free

Dog News

Police seek dog owner after guide dog attacked by dog

Police are speaking to witnesses and examining CCTV footage after a guide dog was attacked by another dog on Tuesday afternoon. Nineteen-month-old Grace, who was three weeks away from finishing her training, was attacked while guiding her trainer, Philippa Davidson, through The Parade in Swindon Town Centre and there are now concerns over whether she will be able to work as a guide dog in the future.

Describing the incident, Philippa explained that a group of youngsters were outside 'Greggs' with an on lead dog.

She said: “I thought ‘good’ but you are always aware.

“Grace was just doing her job going around them and as she got level this dog shot out from between their legs and grabbed Grace’s face.

“Grace was screaming and trying to pull back.

“The dog just hung on and it was causing Grace more and more stress.

“I was doing what I could. I made a fist and was hitting the other dog on the head. I used my feet as well.

“You’re told never to put your fingers near their mouths.

“The young woman had it on a lead. At one point when I was using my feet she said ‘stop kicking my dog’. She wasn’t doing anything other than holding the lead.”

Philippa had let go of the harness to tackle the dog and Grace ran off when the dog released its grip. Philippa said she left the scene to chase Grace, who was caught by passers-by, and when she returned, the other dog owner had gone.

Grace had puncture wounds and grazes on her neck but is recovering after being treated with antibiotics and painkillers. Philippa hopes Grace will still be able to be a guide dog, but said: “She might associate the harness with what happened on Tuesday so I just don't know.

“Some dogs it would affect to the point where the dog couldn't be a guide dog any more. Other dogs it would have an effect but not to the point where there is a problem.”

The other dog owner is described as female, blonde with her hair tied up and wearing all white. The dog is described as a Staffordshire bull terrier type, with a white head a a dark coloured body.

The incident follows another attack in the West Swindon area two weeks ago where a newspaper reported that a man's guide dog, Lexie, was attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier near the Link Centre. Philippa said it must have been horrendous because a blind owner would not have been able to do anything.

Mobility team manager for Guide Dogs Tim Stafford said there are seven dog attacks in the UK every month and with lots of people waiting for dogs, the effects are serious.

Any information can be passed to Wiltshire Police on 101 or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Your comments and views:
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-03-2012, 12:58 PM
I hope they find them and throw the book at them.

Disgraceful as this woman says bad enough for a sighted person to deal with but for a blind person having to deal with this is unbelievable. Sounds like they are having a good sporting day out at the expense of the poor dogs and blind people bet they didn't bank on it being a sighted person this time and able to give a description.
Makes me bl**dy mad.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 01:45 PM
This sort of thing makes me mad the owner shouldn't have a dog if she can not see why the trainer was hitting and kicking it and not helping
I hope they find the owner of this dog.
Best wishes to Grace
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 02:11 PM
It's despicable.

Unfortunately, this type of owner is the scourge of the Earth and really should be banned from owning or handling dogs. There are just so many of them about these days and so many dogs that are suffering through their lack of control
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Poor poor dog. Horrendous thing to happen.

I hooe they do catch the owner, dog sounds pretty distinguishable with a white head
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Question.

Why are the police involved in this "dog on dog" attack but appear not to want to get involved in others?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:59 AM
SB - I was wondering the same. I've had to fight hard to keep then involved in Koda's attack but that was also because there is evidence of this dog attacking a person previously.

Maybe they're following the route of crminal damage if they think the dog is deliberately used to attack others. I suppose it could also be described as dangerously (albeit subjective) out of control in a public place.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 11:45 AM
This is the way of the world SB and SW, they will pursue this as its a dog being trained for a guide dog and it costs the society to train these dogs..........its that simple
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Awful-poor lady and guide dog.

There are some despicable low-life people around who shouldn't be let loose with a pet goldfish let alone a dog.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 02:31 PM
A group of kids, May not have had the dog long, possibly weren't expecting it to react to the guide dog. Panicked,

From another perspective.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top