register for free

Dog News

Devastated family say driver should have stopped after hitting their dog

A family whose dog was hit by a car and left to die have said they are “devastated”. Max, a border collie cross, was hit on Castlesyke Hill in Pontefract at approximately 1.30 pm last Thursday. He had been out walking with his owner's partner, Sean Annable, in nearby fields, together with the family's other dog, Casper.

Owner, mother-of-two Andrea Murgatroyd, explained that both dogs bolted towards the main road. She said: “I can't believe someone could hit a dog and not stop to help it. Even if it was a stray dog I would still take it to the vet and contact the police to at least try and find its owners.

“I want the person who did this to be disgusted by what they've done. They have killed my dog.”

She expressed her gratitude to a passer-by who showed Mr Annable where Max was lying on the roadside and to a female motorist who brought Mr Annable and the dogs home.

Max died on the way to the vet. Miss Murgatroyd, 37, said: “He was a faithful dog and so good with the children, we'd only had him for six months but he was part of the family.”

Referring to the law that motorists must report hitting a dog to police, Mrs Murgatroyd said “I just want people to know if a dog runs out onto the road and you hit it, it might not be your fault but you're supposed to stop.”

Although the family reported the incident to the police, the driver has not been in contact. Any information can be given to the police on the non-emergency number, 101.

Your comments and views:
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Well yes. But it`s not the drivers` fault is it?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-03-2012, 10:47 AM
That is very sad but I agree with C&D it is not the drivers fault the dog running into the road. The driver should of stopped though in my opinion.

This happened to us a couple of years back and we felt awful and we took Ollie home who was travelling with us after having a qucik scour around and I went back and searchd for a couple of hours to no avail. It was a Sunday so I could do no more but on Moday I did ring vets etc., to check a dog hadn't been brought in. We only glanced the dog and knew he run off back into the fields. So we always hope he got home safe.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Sad tale, but agree with the others, its not the drivers fault the dog ran into the road.

Stopping is another matter, not everyone will do so, who knows if the driver had stopped the owners of the dog could also be facing a hefty repair bill for any damage to his car,

So they may have to consider this a blessing in disguise .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I agree the driver should of stopped, but the 2 dogs bolting and running off which lead to this dogs death wasn't his fault, a tragic accident
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Very sad...... but down to the owners.....
SuperflyBadger
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2012, 12:47 PM
A little compassion here wouldn't go amiss. Do you not think the owners are feeling bad enough without heaping blame on them.

Losing your beloved pet in such horrible circumstances - I can't even begin to understand what they are going through. Sure the dog should have been on a lead - but given the full story isn't there about what made the dog bolt in the first place - like I said - If that was me - and I was reading that it was my fault - it would'nt be helpful to me in my grieving process.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 02:27 PM
superflybadger, I don't see anyone blaming the owners just giving an opinion, yes the driver should of stopped, but the dogs bolted which wasn't his fault, people have agree with the owners, however a dog running across a road is/will be a tragic accident
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Well the owners appear to be blaming the driver...
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 03:15 PM
The owners are right the law is if you hit a dog you have to report it to the police. Not the same for cats though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top