register for free

Dog News

Study suggests owning a dog encourages exercise in pregnant women

A recent study of more than 11,000 pregnant women found that dog owners are around 50 per cent more likely to achieve the recommended amount of exercise per day than non-dog owners. The study, published in the Public Library of Science One, is the first to examine whether dog walking helps encourage exercise in pregnant women.

The research was carried out by the University of Liverpool in collaboration with the University of Bristol, the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, and the University of South Carolina . Researchers believe health experts may find the results useful when offering health and fitness advice during pregnancy.

Dr Cari Westgarth, research leader from the University of Liverpool's Institute of Infection and Global Health, said: “By not managing their weight and exercise, pregnant women risk unnecessary weight gain, as well as a difficult labour or weight problems for the child in later life.

“We found that owning one or more dogs was associated with pregnant women taking part in brisk walking on a regular basis, helping them to achieve the recommended 150 minutes of activity a week. Findings suggest that ownership of a dog provides some motivation to go for a walk, even during pregnancy.”

The researchers found no correlation between the weight of women with and without dogs. Dr Westgarth said: “This means that we need to look at how promotion of dog walking could be integrated into a wider strategy, which includes advice on healthy eating, to encourage exercise during pregnancy and reduce weight gain."

Your comments and views:
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Interesting article. I certainly didn't stop doing things when I was pregnant. At 6 months, I was still grouse counting on the moor!

I did read that if you were fit, labour would be easier, and I have to say, it was for me, although he did decide to come a month early and was only 5lb 10, which could have had something to do with it!

Helen
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:18 AM
When I was 9 months pregnant, I was still walking the dogs. Granted, it was only for about an hour a day, but I was still walking. Between 8 and 9 months I was still doing 2 hour plus walks with the muts too

I had a really easy labour, and he was 9lb 5, and I think the exercise will have helped to some extent
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I got my first dog when I first became pregnant. Mind you, I did live right beside some woods so walking was easy and pleasurable.
I think it depends on the individual and the pregnancy though. If you are not active before the pregnancy I doubt a dog will help - too many excuses!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 12:32 PM
well yeh, life doesn't stop cos your pregnant !!! If anything I enjoyed my staggers round the block with Bruno in the latter days hoping that the constant pull might encourage baby to make an appearance !! LOL

NOt so easy now right enough 3rd time round with 5yr old and 18 month old....
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 12:52 PM
yup..I was out a good 2/3 hours per day when I was preggers, and Alex came 10 days early, 8lb 3oz..water birth, gas and air...job done!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm hoping that'll happen for me when I'm pregnant. I'm trying to lose weight anyway and hopefully if I can increase walking it'll help. Interesting about exercise making labour sometimes easier!

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top