register for free

Dog News

Search dog caught on fence survives 14 days before being found

A search dog who went missing on her walk after chasing a rabbit near her home in Penmaenmawr in Conwy, North Wales was discovered 14 days later, caught in a fence with only her front paws touching the ground. It seems that six-year-old spaniel JoJo had managed to survive by eating grass and drinking rain water.

JoJo's owner, David Jones who trains dogs for search and rescue duties, said that if JoJo chases a rabbit, she's usually home in half an hour. When she didn't return home, a search was organised but she was nowhere to be found. Mr Jones worried that she might be trapped somewhere and would die a lingering death, or might have been stolen.

JoJo was finally found by another search dog from the International Training Centre Wales and Mr Jones credits the dog with saving her life.

“One of the gun dogs found her on Saturday,” he said. “He went into the bushes and barked once.

“She was hanging on a fence with just her front paws touching the ground, she'd eaten all the grass around her and I think the heavy showers we've been having gave her something to drink.”

Mr Jones described JoJo – who is trained in the search of human remains – as “just skin and bones” and said she had been given pilchards and milk, as well as antibiotics. He added: “It's not what she's worth, because her training is worth around Ł9,000, I just didn't want her to linger, and have an awful death.

“She's not out of the woods yet and will need physio on her back legs, but at least now she is taking on fluids.”

Your comments and views:
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Interesting as it was my understanding that search dogs were supposed to ignore livestock, cats, rabbits and dogs!

They are not much use as a search dog if they go rabbitting!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Ł9000 worth of training and they could not recall it off a rabbit????
Glad they found her in the end.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 06:51 PM
'usually back within half an hour' like wtf!!

given milk????

hope she recovers soon...brave dog
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope she has a full recovery, obviously she chases rabbits regular, shame with all the cost of training she can not be called ''off'' when running after rabbits, she is one very lucky girl xxxxx
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 08:03 PM
This happened in my village!! I know Dave Jones who trains her. Unfortunately she had to have one of her legs amputated poor mite
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update Zoe. I'm very sad to hear this..
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 12:49 PM
working dogs are often allowed to be 'just dogs' when they're not working and there is no reason why she shouldn't have been allowed to chase rabbits if that's what she enjoys and if her handler was happy.

This doesn't mean that she would do it when she was working. It also doesn't mean that her owner couldn't have called her off - he more than likely was letting her have some fun/excercise.

And yes, in this particular case it did backfire in that she got hurt, but accidents do happen. The same thing could just as well have happened to a working sheepdog out of sight of their handler.

I'm so sorry to hear that she's had to lose a leg and hope that she pulls through. I don't believe the incident should be any reflection on her training or her owner though.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 12:53 PM
A search was organised but she was nowhere to be found?

Well she was 'somewhere to be found' just not where they searched - obviously.

I'd be interested to know how far they did search around where she went off from as it was 14 days before another search dog found her.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 03:07 PM
How sad that she lost a leg.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top