register for free

Dog News

Oldbury police dog bite probe finds 'no misconduct'

An investigation, launched after a police dog attacked a 10-year-old boy in his grandmother's back garden, has concluded there are "no misconduct or training issues."

Tom Cutbill was bitten when a dog handler entered the private garden in Oldbury while looking for thieves.

West Midlands Police said their inquiry revealed both the dog and the handler had adhered to national guidelines.

No compensation has been paid out yet but the force has admitted liability.
Article and photograph here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-27865561

I am glad that it is being settled.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2014, 01:37 PM
How are there no misconduct or training issues yet they assume liability and are expected to pay out? The police dept is pretty much saying:

"It's our fault and not the dog handler's fault".

What?? So your policies say it's okay to do this? And this handler and dog get to stay on the force and potentially bite another small child minding his own business. Judging by the fact that they said the child likely needs future treatment, sounds like an ugly bite.

Don't like it... and don't see why cops are allowed to just let their dogs bite people and not even get a slap on the wrist. If you have to settle on an event and pay out... how could you have been following the proper laws?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2014, 02:09 PM
I am just posting a news story as it appeared in the media - I did not write the article, just copied and pasted it. All the details of the incident were reported at the time.

These are just the findings of the investigation and I do not know what or why the investigation came up with them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

16-06-2014, 03:38 PM
The original report was here and I don't think I've changed my opinion
Police dog bites boy in his garden
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

16-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks for that link - I had not checked back but just posted the investigation findings as they were a current news story.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2014, 05:48 PM
I did not see the original article, thanks Trouble. I knew something smelled off, yes it looks even more as if the cop and whatnot are to blame.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top