register for free

Dog News

How Man's Best Friend Can Detect Disease

The use of dogs in medicine could lead to improved detection rates of disease and a better quality of life for sufferers, according to a charity.

Medical Detection Dogs trains canines to smell the odours that diseases like cancer and diabetes give off in sick patients.

The charity says some of its dogs can now detect disease with 93% accuracy and the organisation regularly receives samples from consultants wanting another way of testing.

Dogs are also being trained to look after sufferers of narcolepsy and for one patient this has changed her life.
Full story, photographs and video here...

http://news.sky.com/story/1277852/ho...detect-disease

It is wonderful how many different diseases dogs can now distinguish and warn against, letting sufferers now lead a normal life again.

Your comments and views:
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2014, 07:56 AM
I think it's wonderful that the Medical Detection Dogs are getting so much press at the moment, long may it last! Here's hoping some real money gets behind them, there are so many people out there for whom a detection dog will completely change their lives, there just aren't enough dogs.....
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2014, 08:47 AM
I already knew about alert dogs for epilepsy and diabetes, and there have been many reports of dogs noticing cancers, especially skin cancers, but a narcolepsy alert dog is something I had never heard of.

It makes one wonder what else our dogs can be trained to do.

There was a recent article about dogs being more accurate in diagnosing prostate cancer than the usual medical tests.

Dogs almost four times better at detecting prostate cancer

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top