register for free

Dog News

China Dog Meat Festival 2014: 10,000 dogs to be slaughtered

It is estimated that around 10,000 dogs were killed and eaten at last year's Yulin Summer Solstice Dog Meat Festival.

Ahead of this year's event, due to take place on 21 June, activists across the globe are calling for a halt to the event, with over $20,000 (Ł11,900) raised by one campaign to help rescue dogs and track those illegally capturing and killing the animals.

A report in China Daily notes that the dog meat festival in southern China involves eating a meat hotpot and drinking strong liquor – and that it is a cherished tradition among local residents.
Read more here:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/china-dog-m...ration-1451869

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Horrible seeing all those dogs in that net I am boycotting Chinese products as much as I can..
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Feel a bit sick seeing that. I'm not a vegetarian but I do believe in animal rights and the humane treatment of animals including at the slaughter house. I'm not seeing any humane treatment of those poor animals.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2014, 10:55 PM
So cruel, and some of these dogs are pets. See Dogsey post, 'Stop the Yulin Dog Slaughter', in General Dog Chat, to link to the petition.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2014, 11:44 PM
These people are some sick cookies. But then again I've read too much about the American meat industry as well. Did you know that pigs are as intelligent if not more so than dogs? Did you know that some slaughter house people have confessed that the pigs before they reach the slaughtering area will act dog-like in their behavior with the humans that are going to kill them? Yet a lot of people eat pig without reservation. That's pretty sick too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Utterly inhumane. I look at my beloved Pereg and can no longer cope with reading such articles.

Maybe I am being an ostrich but I know these things happen - I just choose not to read/view them. Because to be honest I cannot.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Lovemybull - I don't think pigs are the same, as intelligence isn't the only factor - domestication on the other hand, may be key. For example, chimps are clearly more intelligent than dogs, but dogs are more able to understand human gestures, such as pointing, or looking in a certain direction with our eyes. It was on the Wonder of Dogs http://wonderofdogs.com

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top