register for free

Dog News

Falsified applications to have pit bulls as service dogs

Yakima [Washington, US] admits more people are lying their way into getting pit bulls allowed in the city.

Yakima recently allowed the breed only as a service animal. And, in just the last few weeks pits that are definitely not service animals have attacked multiple people and killed a cat.

The city says there isn't much they can do. It's been a growing concern for the city of Yakima.

Pit bulls are banned in city limits, but there is a recent loophole. The American Disabilities Act says pit bulls can be service dogs. So, the city has guidelines for those who have say their pit meets that designation.

"You're supposed to have a muzzle and it's supposed to be in an enclosure if you're leaving it alone outside," city codes manager Joe Caruso.
...[snip]...

ADA guidelines say city officials can ask two questions. If the dog has had service dog training, and what service functions the dog serves. The city cannot ask for proof.
Full story and video here...

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/Cit...261604431.html

Such a shame when legitimate service dogs can possibly be penalised for false applications. And I think that the city should demand proof.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2014, 12:03 PM
If these dogs are service dogs, why on Earth does the ordinance say they must wear muzzles when alone. Nigredo is training for the TDI program and there is NO WAY he'd ever need a muzzle in any situation and if he did, he'd completely not qualify.

I'm kind of baffled TBH.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm baffled why you would want to live in an area that has breed bans anyway That being said it sounds bogus. Just another chance for people to use the media to take a swipe at the "evil pit bull menace". Breedism is supported by dog Nazi's. If a mutt is involved in an attack, perhaps without a trace of terrier in him, he has to be a pit bill...no.

This story just supports the myth that there's this bloodthirsty breed of canine, unstable, liable to turn at any time, roaming the streets attacking anything in it's path.
Except
when
they've
had
their
peanut
butter
yummies
and they're laying
on your feet
snoring...
the only thing truly dangerous
about the bull breeds is
their
intestinal fortitude,
oh and they could drown you
in drool,
can't hold their licker
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Well said! I love my bullie too! However, it's not always easy not living in a place that has those restrictions.. Sad but true, not everybody can or wants to move city or even country..

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top