Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Kennel cough again

Monty has been coughing/hacking/retching for a couple of days now and I'm wondering if he has kennel cough again.

He tends to cough more when playing or excited but also has nasty bouts of it during the night. I sat up with him for half an hour the other night as he was coughing so much.

He's had the kennel cough vaccination about 6-8 months ago so I'm a little surprised that he would get it again but I'm wondering if it's to do with the fact he got bitten by another dog last weekend and had a slight infection in the bite wound.

Can dogs still get kennel cough despite having the vaccination?? I think I'm going to have to take him to the vets tomorrow if he's no better.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi Esme I understand the term Kennel Cough is a blanket term to cover a number of different strains of a particular canine upper respiratory tract infection. So yes dogs can be vaccinated and still get a strain of kennel cough.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Poor Monty Both my dogs had kennel cough last year and they had had the vaccination.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Monty has been coughing/hacking/retching for a couple of days now and I'm wondering if he has kennel cough again.

He tends to cough more when playing or excited but also has nasty bouts of it during the night. I sat up with him for half an hour the other night as he was coughing so much.

He's had the kennel cough vaccination about 6-8 months ago so I'm a little surprised that he would get it again but I'm wondering if it's to do with the fact he got bitten by another dog last weekend and had a slight infection in the bite wound.

Can dogs still get kennel cough despite having the vaccination?? I think I'm going to have to take him to the vets tomorrow if he's no better.
Was he in kennels a few weeks ago? Or am I thinking of the wrong dog? If he was then KC can lie dormant for a few weeks before showing any effects..

There are so many different strains (think human flu virus) you can vaccinate, but it only covers those particular strains and not the others...
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 02:11 PM
As a precaution I would also treat for lung worm. Symptons are very similar.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I was going to say about lung worm too - not disimilar symptoms.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Was he in kennels a few weeks ago? Or am I thinking of the wrong dog? If he was then KC can lie dormant for a few weeks before showing any effects..

There are so many different strains (think human flu virus) you can vaccinate, but it only covers those particular strains and not the others...
You are right - he was in kennels from 20th Dec to 1st January so I suppose he's most likely picked it up there if it is Kennel Cough that he has.

I will google Lungworm as well as i'm not as familiar with the symptoms of that.

He hasn't coughed as much today but it's still there slightly so am going to keep an eye on him tonight and tomorrow and obviously keep him away from other dogs incase it is the kennel cough.

Thanks for all the replies.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:06 PM
The treatment for lung worm is so cheap and easy I would just do it if in doubt.

Panacur 1/2 normal dose for a couple of days full info on the product leaflet.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:42 PM
dont wait for symptoms of lungworm...cover for it anyway....lungworm kills,(and can leave lung damage),kennel cough in a healthy adult doesnt
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
dont wait for symptoms of lungworm...cover for it anyway....lungworm kills,(and can leave lung damage),kennel cough in a healthy adult doesnt
Absolutely agree, a condition that is so easy to sort, there is no need for it to be an issue