Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Kennel cough?

My mums new rescue dog has hacked up a few bits of foamy stuff, is it likely it's kennel cough?

I've never delt with kennel cough before, I know it's contagious, is it likely the others will get it?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Tilly came down with it while staying with my friend and her two collies. She recovered very quickly and the collies never got it. A few dogs at training recently have come down with it but the rest of the gang didnt get it. It is contagious but seems to be hit and miss whether other dogs do contract it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi Wyrd, yes - coughing up white foam is one of the symptoms of kennel cough, and with any luck that is all that will happen with your mum's dog.

Sometimes they can go off their food a bit, but normally in fit adult dogs there are no real problems. However, as you probably know, it is important to keep the dog away from others, although when they are in the same household this can be pointless because it is airborne. Very often other dogs in the same house don't catch it, and nobody really knows why!
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2010, 07:22 PM
My new terrier got it about a week after she came to me none of the others got it and she was fine again in about 4 days it was only really 48 hours she was really bad..
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:04 AM
You would probably find that all the dogs contracted it but just didn't show any symptoms. With my lot, the symptoms ranged from being very poorly (puppy), to retching up huge globs of mucus (3 yr old), to bringing up a couple of puddles (6 yr old) to one little cough (10 year old), which is why you should quarantine all dogs that have been in contact with KC for at least three weeks. It is not the KC that is dangerous to old, infirm and very young dogs, it's the subsequent infections, such as pneumonia.