Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbeypap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Who Needs It??? (Kennel Cough)

KENNEL COUGH

IF YOU HAVE IT STAY AT HOME WITH YOUR DOGS.

Missing out on a few shows or a couple of weeks ringcraft / training does not make us forget about you. You become a more appreciated person for caring enough about others.

By going out you are putting so many more dogs at risk.
Especially the oldies, puppies and the not so well dogs that people have at home. Remember that a dog can carry the dreaded kc home from a show with them.

"It was only a cough to clear his throat" was how one person described there dog that had been sitting in his crate coughing of and on for about a half hour before
they left the show venue.

Maybe it was only that????
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2007, 04:00 PM
My Dog Amie has problem with her throat, I'm always getting people saying she has kennel cough, well if she has its lasted nearly 11 years

I do hate it tho when people, knowingly take a Dog out with it or any other contagious illess.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2007, 08:10 PM
You seem to be going onto every dog site available and posting this. I'm sorry if your dog has KC but it can be picked up from anywhere. I would say more dogs that the vets see with KC are not from a show environment but merely will have got it from their local walk in the park meeting and greeting the other dogs.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

19-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Abbeypap View Post
KENNEL COUGH

IF YOU HAVE IT STAY AT HOME WITH YOUR DOGS.

Missing out on a few shows or a couple of weeks ringcraft / training does not make us forget about you. You become a more appreciated person for caring enough about others.

By going out you are putting so many more dogs at risk.
Especially the oldies, puppies and the not so well dogs that people have at home. Remember that a dog can carry the dreaded kc home from a show with them.

"It was only a cough to clear his throat" was how one person described there dog that had been sitting in his crate coughing of and on for about a half hour before
they left the show venue.

Maybe it was only that????
Joan You are right to issue this warning as Shona know's to her cost after Rutherglen show at Lanark at the week-end.

I know it is rife in this area and the warning is good.

Thank you.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
You seem to be going onto every dog site available and posting this. I'm sorry if your dog has KC but it can be picked up from anywhere. I would say more dogs that the vets see with KC are not from a show environment but merely will have got it from their local walk in the park meeting and greeting the other dogs.
Still an apt warning and something that makes people think. There are a lot of people who simply don't worry about other people's dogs when theirs are contagious.

And for the record, I use a couple of doggy websites and if I see something that makes me think I will often post it on multiple boards - it's not a crime
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Well Denis and I were having a chat about this very subject today.He quite rightly pointed out to me it's bad enough peeps take their dogs to shows with Kennel cough.However we reckon the judges are making matters worse by checking dogs mouths.They go from dog to dog putting their hands in the dogs mouths transferring germs from dog to dog.
If a bout of kennel club has come from that show all the dogs in best in show are in trouble too as it was the same judge who went on to judge those too,xxxxxxxxx
Abbeypap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Joan You are right to issue this warning as Shona know's to her cost after Rutherglen show at Lanark at the week-end.

I know it is rife in this area and the warning is good.

Thank you.
Hello Eunice

I have had a comment made about posting on more than one site (this and one other) and also accused of trying to blame the death of a puppy on other people because there dogs may have had kennel cough. My post was not to apportion blame but to make people aware that there are others who will show dogs no matter what the circumstances health wise or other.

If one person reads this post and thinks twice about taking a contagious coughing dog out and about then I think it a worth while exercise.

Amie said "My Dog Amie has problem with her throat, I'm always getting people saying she has kennel cough, well if she has its lasted nearly 11 years".

Amie having in the past had a dog who coughed for reasons other than kc I know how shunned you can feel, mine only coughed for 5 years before she died.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Many thanks to the original poster, without a doubt the kennel cough that my dogs and Shona's have, came from the Lanark show 12 days ago.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I totally agree that if the owner/handler knows the dog has kennel cough they should not, in any circumstances take them to a show.