View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 11:13 AM
We have brown leather sofas (also DFS) and they have so far survived 4 years of being jumped on and slept on by 2 big dogs...

If they get minging, I just clean with a damp cloth, then use leather wipes afterwards
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Had leather for years, the latest sofa has survived a year of puppyhood, but then the dogs never get on it anyway, BUT, having said that, Zena is always perching herself on top of the recliners when we're on them, either mine or Dave's, both leather, and so far, there are no scratches whatsoever, and her nails are terrible for scratching human skin, so at least I know my skin's not quite as tough as leather!

Avoid those silky cushions though, coz they keep slipping off, you have to get some kind of linen(ish) cushions for leather sofa's. Mind you, I do go a bit overboard with cushions on the sofa, about 12 atm, (coz nobody sits on it!) so that could be the reason they all end up on the floor! Dunelms do some lovely (cheap!) great big, linen type ones which don't slip, that's the place for cushions!
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
We had leather sofa (that survived 2 kittens) but we wanted a change and bought a beautiful fabric sofa about 14 months ago.... which we now never see as we cover it all the time as the dog and cats all sleep on it and that leaves hair and dirt (which needs cleaning). I would definitly stick to leather... you worry less about it and you can just wipe it clean!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I've got 2 leather sofas and the dogs climb all over them. They still look good after 3 years of 5 dogs lying on them, dribbling on them etc!! It's good because you can clean them easily.
The only thing you have to be careful of is dog flea drops. It discolours the leather as we found out!! Shoe polish does the trick though!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I have leather for practical reasons, i have two kids and if they do happen to spill anything on it its easily cleaned. The dogs even though they have their own beds, get on the sofas as soon as we go out of the room so its easy to get hair off, they don't stick. I have n't had any problems with claws - they do mark surface mark the leather but they wipe off. Leather is much more practical imo.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Going back to the original question of the sofa being destroyed by dogs paws, my dogs have leather bean bags and Syd always insists on digging it up to make himself comfy It is scratched and is starting to wear but then his treatment of it is extreme tbh I'm guessing Woody wont be allowed to dig the sofa up. The bean bags are meant for people not dogs so are of a very similar quality leather as our sofa's so all things considered have stood the test rather well, they're also easier and cheaper to replace than a sofa.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 04:52 PM
We have leather sofas, which are fine after 5 years, fabric is just one more thing for the hair to cling to!
We did originally have our old fabric sofa for Jet when he was a puppy, but an unfortunate incident where he leapt a baby gate resulted in the entire stuffing contents all over the house! I can imagine leather would stand up to the assaults of a puppy better xD
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 06:05 PM
I asked the same thing when replacing our fabric ones a couple of years ago and bough leather after most of Dogsey recommended it. Would never have anything else now. So much easier to clean than fabric Em. You won't regret it. I love your new sofa by the way!xx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Fabric everytime. Infact buying our sofa was the hardest thing as everything seems to be leather these days.

I don't like leather and have read reports that prolonged use can cause back problems as leather absorbs natural moisture from your skin.

In regards to cleaning we find hoovering ours once a week has kept it looking fresh and new. We've had it nearly 3 years and it's not showing any signs of looking tired.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Leather! We have fleecy throws over the seats and arms so it saves the sofa from the dogs and it's cosier too! The throws only cost a few pounds each (Ikea and Asda), wash really well over and over again and you can have different colours to change the mood/look of the room .

PS I love the sofa you have chosen! Dogs will look great on it too ha ha!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >