Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Leather or Fabric sofa?

What do you have an why?

We've just ordered a brand new, leather sofa suit in waxed leather but my Dad thinks I'm barmy as says Woody's claws will ruin it in a few months.

Opinions?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Tosh! I've had leather sofa's for the past 30 years or so and never had any issues with them being ruined. The only reason I've changed them is because we've got sick of the sight of them and wanted a change. Good quality leather is designed to last a life time and if you go for a thicker quality one then it'll be as tough as old boots
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I've always had leather since having the dogs and never had a problem, until the kids came along. Now I'm looking to buy another leather sofa and I'm not letting the kids on it lol.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Tosh! I've had leather sofa's for the past 30 years or so and never had any issues with them being ruined. The only reason I've changed them is because we've got sick of the sight of them and wanted a change. Good quality leather is designed to last a life time and if you go for a thicker quality one then it'll be as tough as old boots
Well that's what I thought. We've bought a really expensive set with a tough, waxed leather that looks antique (suits our style) but can also have any scuffs buffed. I think he's thinking of the polished leather ones which can show up scratches abit more.

I'm just looking forward to the wipe clean effort! Our fabric ones are minging!!!!

What does everyone do about cushions? I really want silk but think that would be stupid with my dirty bum, but cotton is just as bad for retaining stains!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
I've always had leather since having the dogs and never had a problem, until the kids came along. Now I'm looking to buy another leather sofa and I'm not letting the kids on it lol.
LOL, what have the kids done to it?

This is our sofa btw -

http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/leather-sofas/leon/

Not to everyone's taste but I LOVE it!
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
LOL, what have the kids done to it?
My daughter thought it would look nice with pen on it. They also think it fun when you leave the room to climb and jump on it (with shoes on) Which has ripped it and as kids do if there a hole fingers have to go in, then hands, arms and before you know it you have a huge rip in the sofa.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
My daughter thought it would look nice with pen on it. They also think it fun when you leave the room to climb and jump on it (with shoes on) Which has ripped it and as kids do if there a hole fingers have to go in, then hands, arms and before you know it you have a huge rip in the sofa.
Eeeeeek!! I better enjoy it while I can then!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Mine have all managed to survive cats, dogs and kids but an element of training is required for the wildlife I did once have a sofa damaged/ripped in a doorway by removal men but it was repaired and out of sight anyway.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Oh yes I think leather is better for the non minging effect
We've had ours 6 years now & paid a lot for it from Klausner, it been lept on by growing up kids & now Tilly too, it does have a few scratches on from the cat but withstands most things.
If it's a light colour, be careful with cushions as mine is yellow & I made the mistake of getting black suede cushions & the dye came off on to the sofa so I had to dump them. Now I have red fur cushions & they are fine. I also recently discovered I can steam clean it which gets all the muck out of the grains from Tilly laying on it
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
We have leather sofas and personally I wouldn't go back to a fabric sofa with dogs. They are much easier to maintain. Just be careful of what cleaning products you use on your sofas as some dry out and destroy the leather. I've been advised to just use a damp cloth which seems to work just fine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >