View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Any ideas for pain relief for tooth abcess?

I've had a problematic tooth for years after I broke it on a boiled sweet. I had the amalgam filling removed and a white one put in.....big mistake! It kept breaking, taking more tooth with it each time. A couple of weeks ago I got a small abcess for which my dentist gave me amoxicllin. It wasn't too painful and the swelling went down quite quickly. I then had an appointment made for me to have root canal work done (which is next monday).
I went to London this week with my mate and it flared up. One minute I was ok then my jaw was all swollen. Luckily I had a presciption with me in case it flared up whilst I was away. This was on wednesday and I'm in agony
I'm taking amoxicillin and metronidazole and ibuprofen and paracetamol and I feel like headbutting the walls. I even thought about taking out my own tooth!!!! The swelling is better but it's still so painful. I can't take codeine as it makes me ill.
Anyone got any ides on how to control the pain until monday? Alternative remedies will do, I just can't stand the pain and pressure in my face!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 12:00 PM
I totally sympathise.I had an abcess when I was pregnant.I even went to A&E to see if they could give me anything.the pain is unbelievable............I am afraid I can't recommend anything as I use codeine based tablets if things are bad.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I had one while pregnant (if the dentist hadn't ignored me at the start of the pregnancy it wouldn't have hit atomic levels of pain)... I'm afraid I just resorted to codiene for mine when the doc at the ante-natal clinic took pity on me and prescribed some after sleepless night number 4.

Dentist managed to clean out two of the gum abcesses, the root one still needs to be tackled but the tooth was so sore she couldn't even touch it to numb it up at all... then my walking got so bad I couldn't get back to the dentist but it's died off since then anyway.

I just lay there with my head on a hot water heat bag (in between the greyhound trying to nick it) drowsing in front of all-night telly all night to cope.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 12:53 PM
You could try clove oil to rub on your gum which would relieve some of the local pain , you can get it from any pharmacy , sorry you are suffering , tooth abcess is one of the worst pains , keep up with the brufen and paracetemol regularly and not sure there is much else stronger available over the counter that is non codiene based, take care
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 12:57 PM
I tried Clove oil and swilling with corsodyl while i was waiting for my appointment,it helped a bit,Hope you get it sorted soon,
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I agree with the clove oil. Also, the heat may help.

Really feel for you Zoe - nothing on this earth much worse than abscess pain.......

Hope you get some relief soon love xxx
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 01:01 PM
I use clove oil too. It is good. I think you can get voltarol over the counter now which is stronger than ibuprofen.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I feel so sorry for you. There's nothing worse than pain in your head.

Can't offer any more advice than what others have already offered.

Keep yourself warm and comfortable, and hope that you feel easier soon.

My dad swears by a tot of whisky for toothache
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Okay, going to put my dental hygienist head on here.

If you're taking a combo of metronidazole and amoxycillin please don't drink any alcohol for the pain, the metronidazole can make you really sick if taken with booze.

Are you taking the paracetamol and ibuprofen together? You can take 600mg ibuprofen and 1000mg of paracetamol at the same time.

But, by the sounds of it if you are still in that much pain it sounds as if the only way to get relief is to have the tooth " opened to drain ".

Is there absolutely no way that you can see an emergency dentist today or tomorrow?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Clove oil will 'deaden' the area and might give you temporary relief, but what you need to do is kill the infection and your best chance of doing that naturally is Manuka Honey - but it has to be a high strength one. Rowse do one 15+ and I know it's pretty good as I've tried it.

I would take a spoon full, but do not swallow - let it swill around your teeth, and you might feel a sizzling sensation (not unlike when you start taking antibiotics) this is it working. When it stops feeling like it's worked brush your teeth to get rid of the inactive residue. Repeat a few times a day, more if you are not diabetic.

Hope that helps!

Also quickly, read up on root canals before getting one done - they can harbour bacteria (that your body can't get to to fight) and have been linked to heart and kidney disease
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >