Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mabs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Bloody Diahrrea - Will it affect new insurance policy

HI there folks.
Had Molly at the vets today as she's had some bloody diahrrea the past two days.
Nothing excessive but none the less worrying. Got her on rice and chicken for 48 hours to see if t settles.

The vet checked her over, temperature fine, everything else fine and she's as jolly, hyper etc as she normally is. She didn't even mind the thermometer up her bum.

As we only took out her insurance policy today she won't be covered for two weeks. Had we known we could insure her before we got her it she'd be covered by now.

We're a bit concerned that even though the vet has given her the all clear for now (she's been given pro kolin to settle things down) that this bloody diahrrea will effect any future claims relating to her stomach etc even if this clears up on it's own.

I shall be calling the insurer on monday to check over with them as on the form we stated she was healthy as the vet said she was.

So what do you think folks?

Mnay thanks

Michael
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:16 PM
personally I wouldnt inform the insurance company, there could be many reasons for this other than illness including stress or moving homes or the wormer. SHe has been given the all clear from the vets so is healthy.
ATD x
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Am sorry but lose track of posts a little. Didn't your dog come with some insurance for so many weeks from wherever was from? I know that many do, private breeder or rescues from what remember. Agree with ATD and would look into this maybe. Hope not to offend and Mabs is better soon.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I think if nothing has been diagnosed you should be ok. They have given her no medication from what I understand so no diagnosis it is usually only things that are considered as pre-exisitng conditions you need to worry about.

I tend to agree with ATd leave it you should be ok.
Mabs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2011, 08:22 PM
forgot to add that she was given some paste that we're to give her three times a day. its has pectin and some good bacteria etc to settle the stomach.

can be bought online quite easily so don't think its prescription based.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I also agree with ATD. Given the all clear so I certainly wouldn't speak to the insurance company. I am sure they will grab at any excuse not to cover so I would leave well alone. As given the all clear can't see how it can be a pre existing condition if something similar occurs in the future. Hope Molly is ok. xx
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Don't know. I'm pretty sure that as you've been to the vet and had treatment (even if its nothing much) they will use that as an excuse not to pay later on. Personally I think you might be better telling them and finding out where you stand. If you make a claim they will request full medical records so they will find out
Mabs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Back home now and the paste is pro-Kolin+ which is a complementary feeding stuff so not really medicine.
I'll probably give them a bell just in case things won't be covered so we can put money aside for that incase anything does arise.

She is doing good tonight, still got diahrrea but with less blood in but has changed to a yellow colour.She's running around like a loon, playing fetch and being as lovely and fiesty as ever.
She is certainly wagging her tail a lot today.

When we got her she had quite a belly on her and th evet nurse passed comment about it being worms.
She had been wormed by the breeder and then at the vets last week. I have noticed that since yesterday her belly has almost gone. It's quite the change. So perhaps its been worms too..
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 07:23 AM
If they'll put it down as worms you'll probably get away with it As you say though, Better to know now if they're not going to cover something, at least you can plan for it then
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Did the insurance company not ask you if she's showing any signs of illness/injury etc because that's normally one of the questions they always ask?

As for if she'll be covered when the policy kicks in this will depend entirelly on the company you'll be surprised what some try and get out of. If it just happens to be an upset stomach there is no reason why this should be excluded but as i said some companies are awfull.

Just out of interest what comapny do you have her insured with?
I've never had any claim turned down as yet but i've heard some horror stories about different companies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >