Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've seen breeders on forums say that if someone asked them the price of the pups at any point then they wouldn't even consider selling them a pup It certainly wouldn't be the first thing on my mind but I would definitely need to know how much buying the pup would cost me!
I don't understand this to be honest. Most people these days have a budget and to know what you are expecting to pay for a pup is not unreasonable.
Money wise the only thing that I don't like is someone asking for a discount for cash
Yes I have been asked.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't want to publish prices on my website, but would be happy to discuss money with potential puppy buyers, so long as it wasn't the first thought that popped into their head!

Hopefully buyers speak to the breeders and find out what they are paying for. I know someone who bought a Mal pup just before I got Keiko - paid half what I paid, but the parents were pets only, no hip scores, no eye tests etc. Plus I know I have lifetime support from Keiko's breeder. Having said that I've seen byb pet Mals for sale for similar to what I paid. The public need to be educated so they know why a pup costs £xxxx and why they should pay the difference if they can.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Well I didn't ask until I was coming to see the pups at 4 weeks. And that was after having met Heather and spent 3 hours at hers just talking, meeting the dogs, before the mating has even happened. And having been in contact before that and since then. Only because I needed to bring a deposit I asked. I really didn't care. If you think about how much you're going to be spending on a monthly basis anyway it's not much to ask to save an extra £200 if it happens to be that much. You should always have more than that behind you just in case of emergency vet bills.

When I met Heather I simply didn't care how much, I just knew I had to have one of her puppies.

I don't think prices should be on the website because there really is never that big a difference in prices. Just save longer. Price shouldn't come into it IMO
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
That is really naive on there part ...
If i am going to a new restaurant I want an idea of what the bill is going to be before i sit down ..lol
Can you imagine falling in love with a pup only to find out it was out your price range ..
I think the point being made (by some breeders) is if the price of the pup is your first question/ consideration when you speak to a breeder, they maybe feel 1) you have not given enough thought to what you are buying, 2) if its your only concern.

Price will come up at some point in the conversation, but to be honest if I bred and the first thing someone asked me is...........how much, then I would be a little wary of how much research they had don't.

No it would not bother me if price was not advertised, I would ask at some point during the conversation.

Speaking to many breeders at shows, I would ask the going rate for said breed at some point in the conversation.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I suppose with the breeders who wont sell to someone who asks the price their arguement is about puppy owner being able (or not) to pay for vet care, which is not really applicable now is it, with pet insurance, and some vets allowing you to pay in installments, which, well you can't get a puppy with insurance, and although some ask for deposits, not many breeders would be willing to let you have the pup, and then pay them in installments, unless you know them really well! I don't know with this though, price isn't as importsn
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Its not about the cost .,
As some good breeders are cheaper than these back yard breeders ,But Joe Public will never know this ...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm gonna kill this phone! But price isn't important as health, but it is important, and can tell you a bit about the breeder, too low and it makes you wonder, as does too high, and it would be so sad to fall for a puppy, and then find that you can't afford it, or are wondering why its so cheap, e.g. the breeds that can't give birth on their own are generally expensive, if they were less then half the price they are normally, wouldn't you question why? And breeders should know that potential owners rightly want to know what their paying for, but then tbh the people who have prices on their sites in the uk don't seem to be the best breeders, maybe a reason why prices aren't on the site, but their happy to answer any questions would be better, and breeders not judging buyers for asking, as tbh I would want to know a range of things if approaching a breeder, but I would also want to know that I'm not wasting their time going for a dog from a litter that I can't afford.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Price shouldn't come into it IMO
This is the real world unfortunately, some of us simply cannot pull £500+ out of our monthly pay. And if a breeder isn't willing to tell you the price beforehand how can you "just save up longer" when you have no idea how much you need? And cost can vary quite a bit!

I have an overdraft, credit card and insurance for medical emergencies. I cannot get a puppy with insurance and I would much rather save up for a few months than go into debt to buy a puppy. Rupe costs me around £90 a month, nowhere near the amount a well bred pup would cost.

Someone on a chat thing a couple of weeks ago was telling a story about a millionnaire who went to an Aston Martin dealer and asked how much a car was. He was snootily given the answer "sir if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it!" He replied "I needed to know the price to write out the cheque."
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
This is the real world unfortunately, some of us simply cannot pull £500+ out of our monthly pay. And if a breeder isn't willing to tell you the price beforehand how can you "just save up longer" when you have no idea how much you need? And cost can vary quite a bit!

I have an overdraft, credit card and insurance for medical emergencies. I cannot get a puppy with insurance and I would much rather save up for a few months than go into debt to buy a puppy. Rupe costs me around £90 a month, nowhere near the amount a well bred pup would cost.

Someone on a chat thing a couple of weeks ago was telling a story about a millionnaire who went to an Aston Martin dealer and asked how much a car was. He was snootily given the answer "sir if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it!" He replied "I needed to know the price to write out the cheque."
I didn't say you don't need to know, quite clearly you need to know how much to take out the bank.
However when selecting a breeder, price shouldn't come into it. Prices can vary by about maybe £300. You should be researching and contacting breeders in advance, not when you want a puppy "now". You will have plenty of time to save up and not pull out the whole amount out of one month's pay.
When did I condone going into debt to buy a puppy? I was meaning that somebody who can't afford it should have that extra backing there anyway for emergency situations.
It would worry me if £200 difference made a difference to which breeder you went with.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shrap View Post
I didn't say you don't need to know, quite clearly you need to know how much to take out the bank.
However when selecting a breeder, price shouldn't come into it. Prices can vary by about maybe £300. You should be researching and contacting breeders in advance, not when you want a puppy "now". You will have plenty of time to save up and not pull out the whole amount out of one month's pay.
When did I condone going into debt to buy a puppy? I was meaning that somebody who can't afford it should have that extra backing there anyway for emergency situations.
It would worry me if £200 difference made a difference to which breeder you went with.
With all else being equal (health, lines etc) then I would go for the breeder who was cheaper - is that wrong?
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »