Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
So what is your point?

I actually find your remark upsetting and unfeeling when it's known I have a terminally ill Boxer
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I would have liked to have heard from Walker Miller (Walkon boxers, Vet and Breed Council member) ..
What is he going to do if someone brings a sick boxer in to his practise and it has kidney issues ...
And that is my point. A breeder, vet and breed council member letting his breed (and people/families) down. If someone should be using influence to improve standards it should be someone like him should it not, never mind not submitting the bloods..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:57 AM
I fail to see how that is unfeeling tbh

Edit, and I went on his site...only comments on the wonderful ch's they bred, no comment on the programme/his position etc
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
& if they did they could be taken to court for restricting the"trade"of the breeders & they would lose.

They have in fact still had to register mother/son, brother/sister, father/daughter after being taken to court(I know of one should registration). The vast majority of breeders would never breed so closely nowadays, but go back to the good old days(pre kennel club)& it was a very common practice & it was how the breeds were developed in the first place.

The same goes for any open registry, they would have to change to a members only registry & then they could set their own rules & regulation & make health testing compulsory.

The Kennel Club & the ISDS are the only canine registry that run health testing schemes & because the ISDS registry is a members only closed registry they can refuse to register dogs that do not fulfill their rules
OK thanks for explaining that I did not know.
That is horrible that people took them to court to justify that level of inbreeding
But it is clear that something needs to be done
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
In short the likely answer is no (judging by the look of the dogs), which is sort of my point. I thought this programme was much better than the last one, but bits of information were still left out in order to strengthen the point JH was wanting to make. The Cesky COI of 45% is another point: stating a breed has a COI of 45% is shocking on it's own, but when put into the perspective of the fact the breed is endangered (and therefore a COI of 45% may be difficult to avoid, the only other possible option would be extinction perhaps?) then it all comes into perspective doesn't it? But JH left this fact out because without it the point she was making appeared so much more severe.

This is the issue I have with JH: leaving out important information in order to lead people to believe something which actually isn't correct.

Aside from that I thought the programme was interesting. Not necessarily factually correct, but interesting. I guess I just don't like tabloid journalists.
If you cant aviod a 45% COI then it sounds like the breed is heading towards extinction anyways that imo is worse than just an isolated dog in a breed with many dogs - you are saying that most likely the majority of dogs in that breed with have such a high COI?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
. The Cesky COI of 45% is another point: stating a breed has a COI of 45% is shocking on it's own, but when put into the perspective of the fact the breed is endangered (and therefore a COI of 45% may be difficult to avoid, the only other possible option would be extinction perhaps?) then it all comes into perspective doesn't it?....................
The Cesky is a fairly recent breed & it is this reason that the COI is so high, the first dogs used being one Sealyham dog & two Scottish Terrier bitches & all the Ceskys go back to these three dogs. It's not an endangered breed, it's still on the import register with the KC. The breed didn't exist before 1949.

They are quite a healthy breed & the only possible problem(inherited via the Sealyham)is PLL(Primary Lens Luxation)no cases have been diagnosed in the UK, but the breed club requires all dogs to be tested under the BVA/KC/ISDS scheme
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Ah right you have explained it better

Mark Evans was involved in the Pet Rescue series - maybe before some folks time on the forum, here's a wee link you may or may not find interesting

http://www.markevans.co.uk/mark-evan...on-animals.php
I thought I'd seen him somewhere before, duh.

Will have a look at the link thanks.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
If you cant aviod a 45% COI then it sounds like the breed is heading towards extinction anyways that imo is worse than just an isolated dog in a breed with many dogs - you are saying that most likely the majority of dogs in that breed with have such a high COI?
Just the opposite in fact, this is a new breed started in 1949 & this is why the COI is so high-it's a Czech breed developed for hunting & showing. The breed goes back to just 3 dogs
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Am I?! And here I was thinking all I was doing was pointing out something JH managed to miss in PDE 2. I guess extinction, high COI's and health issues is something you should discuss with the Cesky Terrier Club. Knock yourself out!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

First and foremost he is a Vet - perhaps you are lucky and have healthy dogs not affected by hereditary or congenital conditions. He spoke with conviction regarding the health & welfare of pedigree dogs.
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Its just a shame the boxer breeder who is also a vet didn't care so much about hereditary issues...
I really don't get what is uncaring about wishing a boxer breeder who is also a vet, cared enough to do better by the breed...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The Cesky is a fairly recent breed & it is this reason that the COI is so high, the first dogs used being one Sealyham dog & two Scottish Terrier bitches & all the Ceskys go back to these three dogs. It's not an endangered breed, it's still on the import register with the KC. The breed didn't exist before 1949.

They are quite a healthy breed & the only possible problem(inherited via the Sealyham)is PLL(Primary Lens Luxation)no cases have been diagnosed in the UK, but the breed club requires all dogs to be tested under the BVA/KC/ISDS scheme
Is it the Sealyham I'm thinking of then? They all look the same to me!
Page 11 of 40 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »