Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You really don't get it do you?

You and the boxer breeders and the dalmation people and the pug breeders and many others.

I don't think you ever will.

rune
What You include me with Boxer, Dalmatian, Pug & other breeders who don't health test ??????????

Do get a life I was pointing out that according to JH 70% of ALL Cavaliers have SM, Claire Rusbridge(who is a Veterinary neurologist BTW)has had to repeatedly state this is not proven because the samples the research was done on(& is still being done on)are on dogs who are closely related to known affected dogs & therefore much more likely to have the conditions

My dogs have had more health testing done on them than any mutt from a rescue/BYB/puppy farm. How insulting can you get making out that I have no interest in the health of dogs.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
would the dogs still be bred? yip ! registered or not registered...it already happens only thing u cant do is show the dog......
But people pay more for a KC registered dog so if there puppies are worth less they get less money and probably less people after puppies because they arent registered
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Indeed it did, but what about the Cav's shown on the floor screaming in agony. Were they pet or show bred.
You could write to the producers of the show and ask ?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I think the cav was the same clip as in the origonal program and it wasnt a show bred dog
Still a pedigree tho. She never said it was a show bred dog, she was showing what the condition, that that dog may have been passing on to the pups he sired, does to affected dogs

So sad, when I was a kid my best friend had a cav, she was a lovely wee dog, I spent so much time with her - and she looked so different to the dogs nowadays - thats really not such a long time for the breed to have changed so much (Im not that old)
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Delos View Post
But people pay more for a KC registered dog so if there puppies are worth less they get less money and probably less people after puppies because they arent registered
Doesn't always work that way. The litter ours came from where KC registered, show bred, both parents champions, yet we got no papers and paid full price for White pups. Albeit, White pups don't cost as much (at present) as coloured pup. We paid as much for our Whites as some pay for coloured KC registered (but not show standard) pups
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

First and foremost he is a Vet - perhaps you are lucky and have healthy dogs not affected by hereditary or congenital conditions. He spoke with conviction regarding the health & welfare of pedigree dogs.
Lost our first dog aged 6 from kidney disease, I suspect, though cannot prove it may've had a genetic element to it.

Conviction or not, it didn't come across well, which was my point.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
But they do have some power - If they can say they can refuse to register puppies from Mother son matings - then they can refuse to register all sorts
They could refuse to register without tests
they could refuse to register litters by a stud after a certain number of litters
They could refuse to register a certain COI
& if they did they could be taken to court for restricting the"trade"of the breeders & they would lose.

They have in fact still had to register mother/son, brother/sister, father/daughter after being taken to court(I know of one should registration). The vast majority of breeders would never breed so closely nowadays, but go back to the good old days(pre kennel club)& it was a very common practice & it was how the breeds were developed in the first place.

The same goes for any open registry, they would have to change to a members only registry & then they could set their own rules & regulation & make health testing compulsory.

The Kennel Club & the ISDS are the only canine registry that run health testing schemes & because the ISDS registry is a members only closed registry they can refuse to register dogs that do not fulfill their rules
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:47 AM
In short the likely answer is no (judging by the look of the dogs), which is sort of my point. I thought this programme was much better than the last one, but bits of information were still left out in order to strengthen the point JH was wanting to make. The Cesky COI of 45% is another point: stating a breed has a COI of 45% is shocking on it's own, but when put into the perspective of the fact the breed is endangered (and therefore a COI of 45% may be difficult to avoid, the only other possible option would be extinction perhaps?) then it all comes into perspective doesn't it? But JH left this fact out because without it the point she was making appeared so much more severe.

This is the issue I have with JH: leaving out important information in order to lead people to believe something which actually isn't correct.

Aside from that I thought the programme was interesting. Not necessarily factually correct, but interesting. I guess I just don't like tabloid journalists.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
Well if you look on the internet puppy selling sites you will find there is little different between KC registered & none KC registered for most breeds. The non registered dogs are always advertised as being healthy & vet checked-but never health tested-because they don't need it because they are not KC registered

Look at the cross breeds selling for more than the breeds they are produced from.

Joe Public wants to be able to buy now & not have to wait for a planned health tested one
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Lost our first dog aged 6 from kidney disease, I suspect, though cannot prove it may've had a genetic element to it.

Conviction or not, it didn't come across well, which was my point.
Ah right you have explained it better

Mark Evans was involved in the Pet Rescue series - maybe before some folks time on the forum, here's a wee link you may or may not find interesting

http://www.markevans.co.uk/mark-evan...on-animals.php
Page 10 of 40 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »