View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2014, 07:17 PM
I definitely suggest some of what the others have said about just getting up and walking away if the puppy bites. You have to be really consistent but over time the puppy learns that biting ends the fun.

Keep up the good work with providing toys for the pup to chew on, and rotate which toys are available each day or even a couple times per day. That will make the toys seem more interesting.

As far as the nap thing, if you are napping with the puppy in your bed I wonder if you should put the puppy in a kennel instead. That way he can learn to settle down in there with a special chew toy. Sounds like he's trying to turn nap time into play time.

I wrote a blog post on this topic if you want to check it out for some more tips: http://www.dogids.com/blog/how-to-st...from-biting-2/

Best of luck!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Sorry to disagree but that doesn't work with some puppies - it just winds them up even more! I also don't agree that they will bite for a long time - if you train them properly they soon learn that biting flesh is not allowed!
I agree with everything 5dogpam said there. Any sort of shouting, squealing, pretend barking, ouching etc. can often make the problem worse or even make the dog think it's a great game. And definitely gives them what they are asking for ..... ATTENTION!

Ignoring works best every time in all my experience. Stand up, fold arms, turn away and if needs be - leave the room. Or, if it's easy to do so - remove the pup from the room.

This is how I dealt with Minpin Barking prob. Even if it meant in out, in out, in out, shake it all about every TWO minutes. She got the message. She barks - out she goes. She stops in she comes. In the end we didn't even have to shut the door on her - she started barking for no reason (minpins love barking) and just extend an arm towards the open door and out she trotted lol!

I think pointing fingers and shouting NO! doesn't help at all.

And definitely not what some idiots do - bite the dog back or pinch their ears or start howling like a blerdy wolf at them.

"did make one big mistake in the beginning - decided to put her in the bathroom if she started the senseless barking. Bathroom is on same floor, huge and wholly tiled but the acoustics meant her barking sounded ten times louder! She loved that! So a rethink was necessary!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2