Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Biting puppy

My puppy has always been a biter, i am trying to train him positively and he is doing great with sitting and toilet training etc but he just wont stop biting, he has loads of different toys which i give to him if he is chewing something he shouldn't but he likes to bite people especially feet! Hes gone through 2 pairs of socks (not to mention hurt feet) this morning alone, now i've had to put him in his pen so i can finish my breakfast without him attacking my feet. He didnt want to play with anything else this morning. What am i doing wrong?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Here are some articles on this subject by qualified, reputable trainers and behaviourists

The most important thing is to provide LOTS of APPROPRIATE things he can bite on.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discu...c=64170.0;wap2

http://cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files...y%20biting.pdf

http://www.apbc.org.uk/system/files/...ng_low_res.pdf

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/pu...ands_and_arms/

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/te...inhibition.pdf

http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Playbiting_000.pdf

DVD
Your Clever Dog: Puppy biting, chewing and over-excitability with children
Sarah Whitehead
All puppies bite! They come with a set of needlesharp teeth that a shark would be proud of. This behaviour is perfectly normal, but needs to be prevented in order for the dog to become a calm and social member of the family.
This DVD is specially designed to show you exactly what you need to do to reduce and then stop your puppy from biting and mouthing using only kind and fair methods, and the secrets that top dog trainers know.
This DVD also covers the essentials for making sure that your ‘puppy chewing machine flexes his teeth on all the right things, and leaves your shoes, the kids’ toys and your furniture alone.
Sarah Whitehead also gives advice on puppies and children, and how to ensure they grow up happily together.
Including:
• Why biting is an integral part of your puppy’s development
• How to control your puppy’s biting
• How to keep kids safe with your puppy
• How to play with your puppy to help control biting
The pack contains: A clicker, tab handle, training manual, instructional DVD, 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Thankyou! Read through the articles, my boss was telling me to use a water pistol which i didnt really want to do. He was much better tonight than this morning- whether it was my yelping making him understand or just that he was in a better mood i dont know! I knew nothing about bute inhibition found it very interesting tho, my older dog must have been tought very well as he does the teeth baring and has occasionally put my boyfriends hand in his mouth when rough playing and i never understood why! Pup is coming on so well it is frustrating not to progress with this so well but i will continue now i understand a bit better, its a bit of a learning curve!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Feet are easy

Pup sees them as a great game because they move and dance about when he goes to grab them so they are a fantastic reward.

The easiest way to stop them is to make that reward so boring that it no longer is a reward, ie as pup goes to mouth them, stand perfectly still, say nothing and only move when pup has backed off. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Feet soon become so boring that they aren't worth bothering with.

The same applies to other parts that puppy mouths
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you, he seems to get like it when he is tired - hes turning into an unruly toddler!
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Yelp yelp and yelp again. As loud and as high pitched as you can. As soon as they realise they are actually hurting you they'll stop. Worked for my staffy in under 3 days. When we got her she nipped everywhere feet, ears, fingers.. Even my nose! Lol. But a loud yelp and she backed away looking hurt and very sorry for herself.. Its exactly same way her mum would have taught her.
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:58 AM
He seems to get more and more excited if i yelp, the trainer said to try grumbling as that worked for one of her pups, only a couple of times it has worked and that was when it really had flipping hurt! Ignoring him or putting him in his cage or outside seems to work best, he is biting less, still a lot, but its less!
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2012, 07:02 AM
I used to just walk away completely ignoring her after she bit, the yelping pinpoints the activity you want her to stop (but I assume any noise could be used instead) and walking away shows that its too their own detriment because they lose the attention they crave. Stick to it anyway's regardless of whatever method you choose, I think the most important thing is being consistent until he realises its unacceptable. and finally don't get to down on yourself about it!