View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I've never used it to be honest so wasn't sure what it was like. Someone on another forum mentioned it - one tip posted was to use a cotton wood pad soaked in warm water, I presume the warmth and the water help make the wax a bit easier to spread over the paws.
Saying that, it's probably nearly identical to Vaseline but charged at 4 times the price or something ridiculous
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I've always used baby oil on the Dogs legs & the Horses Feathers
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I will be adding that to my puppy list then......toilet training in the new Year here we come!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I couldn't think what to put on there for our 2nd walk with Georgie, and I didn't want to smother their feet in cream, so in Sainsbury's I bought a spray bottle of sunflower oil, sprayed their feet and when we got back there wasn't a flake of snow on any of them - sorted!
A great tip H I'm sure I've mentioned this problem before. I will definately try it, not sure if we can get the 'spray bottle' here but if not I'll just transfer some into a spare spray bittle I have in the workshop. Thanks.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I've just got visions of your dog being fine and happy with no snow on her paws and you lying on the floor cos you've slipped on some oil! Take care!

Cherry seems to get snowed up on her feet and yet Parker who is almost identical doesn't-strange?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
I've always used baby oil on the Dogs legs & the Horses Feathers
That's what gave me the idea!!! The baby oil I used to put around the horse's coronet hair to make the mud slide off better when I hosed them!!! then I thought it might not be good for the dogs to lick (thinking of Georgie ) so that pointed me in the direction of an edible oil and voila!

Funny thing, it was Georgie who had these last year and Zena didn't get them, but it was really cold and frosty along with the snow this morning at 7.30 so maybe that's why? I still can't get over the size of that bladdy ball she had stuck under there though The things that went through my mind as she hobbled back tome with that ball, I was thinking vet, hundreds of pounds, trauma, muzzle and then I see a snowball!!!! Phew!

I have done myself a note to the effect "do not apply oil spray to dog's feet until inside the car"!!!!!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Great tip as my Saluki (Jasmine) gets snowballs on her feet and last weekend I was forever removing them for her so when we next have some snow will be using either oil or vaseline.
One question, Jasmine has very feathery feet, does anyone with dogs who have such feet trim the fur around the pads?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Well I always used to trim the fur, but then I got to thinking itmight be there for a reason (we had a lot of cut pads!!), so I'm now leaving it, apart from the top of the foot, I keep that trimmed. I wonder if anybody knows if there is a reason for all that fur inbetween the pads of a longcoated dog please??? There can't be can there coz shortcoated dogs don't have it, or do they??

p.s. Any tips please for removing them when you're out, coz I really had a problem this morning with mine? I don't think dunking them in warm water when you get home is good either, or maybe it is? I just wrapped each paw up in a towel, held it there and rubbed it a bit to warm those poor little cold feet up!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I must admit I was reluctant to cut her feet fur as, like you, thought it might be there for a purpose. As the Saluki was bred for the desert I assume it's to stop the sand getting in
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Dougal doesn't appear to have long hair between his pads, but still seems to suffer, not so much from balls between his pads though. Think his feeties just get cauld.

He lifted his hind foot yesterday when we were out and was hopping along for a bit. Couldn't see anything, didn't appear to be any ice or snow in there and he was okay once I rubbed his paw for a bit. Wondered if maybe the salt was having an effect on his feet?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >