Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Snowballs on feet, I found a cure!

took Zena out in the frost and snow this morning, have done it before, no problems, but this morning, she went horrendously lame on me as we approached the end of our walk and I honestly thought she'd either cut another pad or damaged her shoulder

I lifted up her front foot, and I couldn't believe what I saw there a giant snowball, the size of a golf ball firmly attached to the fur between her pads. I tried to coax it off, she yelped, so I blew on it, I put my gloves on it, I twisted it, I tried to get my fingers between it and the fur, and finally I won,off it came and she was so grateful she could walk again that she smothered me in kisses and knocked me over!

I couldn't think what to put on there for our 2nd walk with Georgie, and I didn't want to smother their feet in cream, so in Sainsbury's I bought a spray bottle of sunflower oil, sprayed their feet and when we got back there wasn't a flake of snow on any of them - sorted!

the only problem was, I put it on in the bootroom, which had then turned into a skidpan, so I had to scrub the floor! I don't think sunflower oil can harm them, but quite honestly, by the time you get back from a walk it's probably all gone anyway? I just thought I'd pass on my handy little tip coz it did work for me!
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Good tip!
Chuckling to myself thinking of you sliding around in the bootroom !
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Vaseline works just as well, plus you can carry the tub in your pocket to reapply as and when needed on a walk.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
Vaseline works just as well, plus you can carry the tub in your pocket to reapply as and when needed on a walk.
I thought of that, but like cream, I didn't want to clogg the fur up, especially as Georgie is a nibbler of feet, I'm sure it must have a few nasties in it (it smells of petroleum doesn't it!). With the oil, it's thin, it's edible, and it won't clogg the fur.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Yep, been using vegetable oil and vaseline for years, works a treat!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Vaseline doesn't clog the fur, over the length of a walk it usually washes out with the snow and that's why I reapply it. It can be used for a variety of things medical especially on chapped lips and skin (on wikipedia it lists all the things it can be used for) so don't think it contains any nasties.

I'm sure it has been mentioned on here as well over the last year or so.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I'll try that tomorrow then coz it might be safer for ME especially if I apply it when we're IN the car instead of before we go out the door lol!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I've never used any creams or oils on my dog's feet. because they're inside dogs, and our temps get too cold, for feet, whether or not their feet are coated, they all wear booties. they certainly dont get snow between their pads either! LOL but what a great idea! I love it, and will use it if I take my longhaired dogs out for a walk when it's warm enough not to have to wear booties!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:50 PM
You can buy paw wax which supposedly helps, and you have the benefit of knowing it's produced specifically to use on doggy feet
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You can buy paw wax which supposedly helps, and you have the benefit of knowing it's produced specifically to use on doggy feet
The Paw Wax is of a stiff consistency, and while I find it easy enough to apply to the pads, Vaseline is easier for in between the toes on my dog at least, who has tufty feet.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >