View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 05:25 AM
We have a very small blue box for paper (which has now been nicked )and a very small green box for plastic,glass and tins. They are so small that you can hardley fit anything in them. They are collected once a week

Garden rubbish is collected every 4 weeks and that is green bags only, which usually are half rotted as they are bio gradeable. So when they come to collect the bags usually drop all over the floor and they just leave it there

Black bags (we are really lucky) collection twice weekly.

I rang for wheelie bins as we have a big drive, I can have them .........if I pay for them (yea right)
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 06:15 AM
I have the same problem, ours have to sit right by the front door, We have a black wheelie for household rubbish and they have just introduced a blue one for recycling tins, paper, cardboard and glass, they all go in the one bin and are sorted on site.
The black on is empited weekly as is the blue one, but when it's hot, the black on can get a bit whiffy and right by the front door ....well it's embarrasing We do have a wheelie bin cleaner, but trying to catch him to come and do mine is like trying to catch the wind.

xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Compared to some, mine is pretty simple....

All I have is a distbun/black bags for normal waste, including food waste. This collect weekly.

Blue box for paper and card - collected bi-weekly.

Green box for bottles, tins, foil - collected bi-weekly.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Ours is simple at the moment too. Black bags for food waste we keep those in a dustbin outside in the garden then it gets collected from outside back gate every week.
Recycling my blue box was pinched with all the paper in it still so I use a special recycling bag they give us also and and old swing bin if I have an extra load that is collected from the front garden every 2nd week.

I do believe they are going to complicate things from next month though.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Esmed, why not complain to your local councillor.

I realise that Council's have to try and save money, but I think it is a massive backward step to only collect food rubbish every 2 weeks.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 07:39 AM
The reason we freeze our food rubbish is cos its only collected fortnightly!!!!!!!!!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Esmed, why not complain to your local councillor.

I realise that Council's have to try and save money, but I think it is a massive backward step to only collect food rubbish every 2 weeks.
I hadn't thought of complaining directly to a local counciller so might give that a go.

As Elaine said I find it embarassing that my bin is by my front door and stinks and often has maggots in it.

I love the freezer idea but unfortunately
no spare freezer or room for one!

I thought our system was complicated but reading some of the others makes me realise ours is quite simple.

Thankfully our maggot infested bin will be collected tomorrow and then I shall clean the bin out and have a good think about my next plan of action!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Ours is simple we have black bags for general rubbish and orange sacks for recyclable stuff collected together on the same day each week. Green wheelie bins are available for garden waste but there is a charge for the service and I think it's collected monthly. I don't use it a recycle my garden waste through compost bin, wormery and shredder. I store my rubbish in the garage and give each and every bag a generous squirt of fly spray before closing.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 08:32 AM
The whole of Felixstowe has different systems here!

I am on the most recent so I have a skinny brown bin for garden waste. You also have to put shredded paper in there and you can put card and food waste in.
We have a giant blue bin for recycling, paper, and plastic.
Both these bins go out on the same Friday.

On the alternate Friday we have a giant grey bin for anything else.

We don't have a kerbside recycling scheme for glass, you have to take that to the bottle banks yourself.

I'm lucky, I have a big garden and all three sit round the side of the house next to the dog poop bin..... which is a lovely job to add to the grey bin every fortbight I can tell you.

When we lived in a flat they only had brown bins for garden waste only.... we got one though we didn't even have a garden!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2009, 09:57 AM
We have burgundy bins, brown bins, green bins and black bins. The brown bins are quite recent and are for card and paper, the burgundy used to be for card/paper/tins/bottles, but are now for just tins/bottles. Before the burgundy bin we had green boxes, which I still use, because I use the burgundy bin to store my firewood in (carefully covered so low flying helicpoters can't spot it)I don't have the room in my yard of my terrace for any more bins, as I have a coal bunker and 2 large kennels plus my dogs. The black bin is for general rubbish and is collected every Tuesday, but I have to wheel it to the end of the lane. They did start the fortnightly collection thing (they called it alternate weekly collection) for the black bins, but we voted the whole council out and voted in the council who said they would go back to weekly, so that larn't 'em. If we dare commit the heinous crime of leaving our black bins (or any colour bins for that matter) outside our yard they take us to court and we are fined hundreds of pounds. I have a small front garden which doesn't generate enough for me to have a green bin, and I would have nowhere to put it anyway, the guy who cuts my grass takes the clippings away. Once I was having some work done in the yard and the guy left a couple of pieces of wood in the lane outside. It was duly photographed and I was threatened with prosecution for 'littering' It was actually moved and piled up for photographic purposes - whilst they were moving it to photograph it, why didn't they move it anyway??? He was coming back to move it but got delayed on another job so it was left outside, oh the shame of it, for 2 weeks instead of the couple of days promised.
I am sick of the whole lot of them using anti-terrorist legislation to bully me into stockpiling my rubbish instead of them doing what I pay them to do and taking it away on a regular basis
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >