View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:21 PM
You can't argue with the evidence, Smokeybear. What I posted is the accepted gold standard in scientific evidence (that's a systematic review. Just in case anyone didn't know).

liking to sites which promote neutraceuticals isn't evidence. A systematic review is unbaised.

If you still can't see it with all the evidence in front of you I don't think I'll waste any more time here.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by brittany View Post
You can't argue with the evidence, Smokeybear. What I posted is the accepted gold standard in scientific evidence (that's a systematic review. Just in case anyone didn't know).

liking to sites which promote neutraceuticals isn't evidence. A systematic review is unbaised.

If you still can't see it with all the evidence in front of you I don't think I'll waste any more time here.
Actually you CAN argue with the evidence Brittany! Experts and professionals do it all the time.

Thank you for pointing out what a systematic review is, I for one am really grateful, I like to consider that education is lifelong and that few things are set in stone.

If you feel your presence here is a waste of your time, then I think you are right not to continue.

ATB
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Actually you CAN argue with the evidence
Didn't do much science at school then.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Didn't do much science at school then.
I did the usual, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, nothing earth shattering, and science produces conflicting evidence all the time (according to the scientific journals and papers I read anyway).
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Oh dear a simple thread about the customer service at vet vits has turned into debate.

Where the need for for mentioning prong collars came in I have no idea. That was way off the subject.

I am still rather amazed that one person seems to think that the rest of us cannot read information and make an informed decision and has totally missed the point as they seem to be blinded by their thoughts and readings are right. Yes Dillon had started them before his possible cruciate injury my choice after much reading and discussion with breeder and a week or so after starting him on them the vet did say I would advise some sort of glucosamine product to which I replied I have already started and she replied I am pleased to hear that.

So Brittany thank you for trying to help but it hasn't helped me as I had aleady made up my mind that the product I am giving Dillon will do him no harm. Please note we who are in the camp of giving our dogs some form of glucosamine/chrondroitin or vitamins are not arguing back to you that you choose not to give it to your dog.

We respect your views please respect ours.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:42 PM

Glucosamine and chrondrointin are useless for anything
Really??? My husband couldn'd walk if he didn't take them because of arthritis in his knees! Recommended by his GP.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-05-2012, 06:47 AM
They don't use it because IT DOESN'T WORK!
that is, quite simply, untrue

the efficacy is unproven through clinical studies (or lack of)

however with canines, clinical studies have proven the efficacy and vets can and do prescribe glucosamine

(side note: why is there a lack of clinical studies on glucoamine for human? I'll try to cut an long convulted story short. Basically a pharmaceutical manufacturer will produce a new drug and seek licence for its use. This will involve clinical trials for the efficacy, use and side effects. When the drug goes to market the drug company will hold licence on it for a period of time. During that time the price of the drug will be very high. When it comes off licence and is freely available for all manufacturers to produce the price of the drug can drop significantly, say from £80 to £20 per pack to use a recent example. So, the manufacturer basically made a big profit during the period on licence and much less so off licence. The big profit on licence paid for the clinical trials. The money made off licence probably wouldn't cover the costs. Glucosamine is a supplement - NOT a medication and it can't be licenced. Any manufacturer who tried to make a licensed version would be nuts as the licence probably wouldn't be granted as the supplement version is freely available to the public on shelf so why should the NHS pick up the costs? Hope that makes sense)
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Really??? My husband couldn'd walk if he didn't take them because of arthritis in his knees! Recommended by his GP.
i have spoken to many people who have told me the benefits they have experienced using fish oils and glucosamine

one of my WT friends has arthiritis in his kness which has been severe of late and for a period of time he couldn't walk

after his medication changed he started using glucosamine and noticed a gradual difference; he also said when he forgot to take if for a couple of days he really noticed a difference in his mobility

i also will never the forget the old lady i met who was talking to me about whilst standing with her walking stick, delighted that she had stopped using her wheelchair!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4