Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asadora
New Member!
Female 

29-08-2013, 02:36 PM

My 1 1/2 year old lab and Kennel Cough Vaccine

My one and half year old lab, Hugh has been coughing (more like a goose honking sound) and has had two episodes of explosive diarrhea. He received a nose spray booster for Kennel cough on the 8th of August.
The diarreha started last evening and in the middle of the night. He started coughing yesterday morning. Yesterday he was acting normally, but today he is not as joyous or giddy. He is sleeping a lot.
In two hours he has his appointment to see the Vet.

I was just wondering if the kennel cough vaccine failed in this instance? This is the second time he's had the Kennel cough nose spray. The first time, there were no problems and nothing cropped up afterwards.

My poor boy:/ I am so worried.

Kind Regards
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Hope he is alright and the vets have helped. I am not sure why he is ill so can't offer any advice. Hust wated to send helaing thought and a hug.

Ndidi
Asadora
New Member!
Female 

29-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Hello! Took my boy to the vet. Hugh returned to almost normal at the vets, though he still had the cough. My vet was in no hurry to say it was kennel cough. He gave my boy a shot to help with the diarrhea and also to clear up any other infection. Also was given a paste to help with the diarrhea.
Hugh is on eggs and rice until his poo gets back to normal.
I was given some remedy hompathy stuff to help with his cough. I also was told that one teaspoon of honey will soothe the throat.

All in all, it just seemed to me that my vet was more concerned over the diarrhea than the cough.

I think that after going to the vet I feel way better myself!

I learned a few things as well, that actual kennel cough is more like a constant whooping cough. Hugh wasn't coughing constantly, just here and there.
His vaccine was for the bordella(sp?), the vet said that if the cough is still around in four days, to bring him back in and they'll take a sample and see if that batch of vaccine he received earlier this month is a failure, and if it is, apparently they will reimburse me for today's vet bill.

Isn't that something?!

Thank you all for reading. It helps a worrying lab mother vent worry before getting to the vets.

Kind Regards!