Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Kennel cough vaccine...

Does it actually work? I was in my local shop today and heard that a couple of dogs in my area have kennel cough... now Jamie was vaccinated against it, but Deacon has yet to be... I hope I am worrying for nothing!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 10:38 PM
it just helps prevent it, they can still get it as there are many different strains
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 10:40 PM
It is supposed to but a friend of mine got all her Leos vaccinated and three of them then contracted it, one of them having been at a show!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 10:59 PM
The vaccine covers some strains but not all. I had my dogs given it when they were pups as some protection is better than not. However now they are older I don't bother with it. I just keep an ear out for any outbreaks and an eye out for any symptoms and have some benylin in the cupboard just in case.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2008, 05:18 AM
I have mixed feelings, if they were going into kennels yes I would, but other wise I would leave the older ones. Bruce had it done being so young, but that was the only reason I had him done.
It is only a prevention and doesn't cover all strains.
My son's dogs Pappi has it done, yet when Gary first got Dillon from the Dogs Home, he brought it into the house with him..&..Pappi caught it.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Well it looks like my two now have kennel cough Been hacking a bit this morning, so benylin has gone down their throats....they enjoyed it wierdo's Appetites and energy levels normal, which is going to be hard work as they will need to be housebound for awhile...
I read a few things on the internet, that said anti-biotics are not really a good idea as kc is like our common cold and just needs to be worked out of the body? it said just to give honey, vit c, and echincea (sp?)
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I fostered a bitch who had a form of kennel cough, the vet said it was a mixture of a virus & a bacterial problem so she gave antibiotics to help with the bacterial side & secondary infections & said this would then make her well enough to fight of the virus.
My friend who runs a boarding kennel will not take in dogs within two weeks of their being vaccinated as the only time she has ever had an outbreak in her kennels was when she took in two dogs who had just been vaccinated & the dogs on either side of them got kennel cough which her vet thought could have been from the live virus in the vaccinations.
Must say why some dogs get kennel cough & others don't is a mystery. I had a mother & son, every time there was kennel cough in the area he got it, she lived with him, travelled with him, & he coughed over her continuously yet never in all her 15 years of life did she ever get kennel cough.