Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
hmm strangly enough I thought dogs who did agility were dogs, as J&C explained it makes the study MORE not less relivent because it is taking out the random factor of dogs who spend all their lives on leads and never get a chance to run about
I am not sure if you are just being difficult on purpose or have no idea about research and stuff but looking at this one group is removing some variability so make the study better

although I disagree with you quite a bit here (especially the idea that dogs are supposed to be jumping on and off hard equipment - they are not suppposed to be jumping it - thats the point of the contact zones to prevent that)
I really kind of dont get your point here anyways - in your mind possibly it is a sport making the dogs more prone to injury
BUT
the study is not saying 'agility dogs are getting arthritis'
it is saying agility dogs who have had their dew claws removed are at higher risk of arthritis than agility dogs who still have their dew claws

That there is statistically significant evidence to show that there is a difference in removing dew claws
As an aside. I was horrified to see how many dogs legs are wrapped in flyball because of the injuries to stopper pads and dew claws. Imagine if that was a show dog??
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Just musing here, but if the removal of the dew claws shows up an increased risk in agility dogs, then it's logical to assume (there I go assuming again) that the increased 'risk' may be present in dogs that do not participate in that sport.
Yes its logical, if said others where as active, but what "risk " is there to a dog that does not encounter the same strenuous pressure on their joints.

Is it just assumption that a dog who is active (and without dew claws) will suffer joint problems , more so than those with.??

Heavy pounding on joints can result in joint problems in humans as well as dogs, we don`t remove appendage , yet we still suffer, could it be that its simply down to friction on joints on hard ground that is the cause of such issues?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Heavy pounding on joints can result in joint problems in humans as well as dogs, we don`t remove appendage , yet we still suffer, could it be that its simply down to friction on joints on hard ground that is the cause of such issues?
Could well be. It would need the study to be repeated a number of times before a trend could be established
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I agree, because re-reading BM, post, from what I can gather , its an "assumption" that removign dew claws, MIGHT be a factor in joint related problems... to hold clout, it needs to be a bit more than guess work.

If for instance the study took 50 dogs and 25 had dew claws and 25 did not, and those without all had joint related problems, and those with did not, (given all a similar age and so on) you could then, say there was a common denominator to work on.

So yes it would be interesting to see how they come by the results.

Ahh I see your confusion
As a scientist it is actually standard to never say 'X IS the case' things are always quoted something along the lines of 'from the results shown here there is a statistical significance that X MAY be the case'
That is just how scientific research is published
I used to have to send reports to the FDA for the manufacture of penicillin and I could never send a report that would say 'this change is perfectly safe for human use' you would have to say 'From the findings it appears that this batch would likely be safe for human use'

It is just the way things are said, it dosent mean something is in any more doubt than any other study, I appologise I realise that most people are not used to putting forward things in a scientific manner so it looks odd to read

The studies have been posted here in the past but I will try and did them out again

I am trying to find a correct way to put this without putting it in the fuzzy way I have been trained to

In a random selection of agility dogs more dogs who had had their dew claws removed suffered arthritis in that area than did dogs who still had there dew claws
makes sense??
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
As an aside. I was horrified to see how many dogs legs are wrapped in flyball because of the injuries to stopper pads and dew claws. Imagine if that was a show dog??
Me too, have to say it really worried me that amount of pressure those joints took, in flyball, every time a dog hit the stopper pad, it sent shivers up my spine..........but its OK, because the dogs are not in the show ring ?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:25 PM
http://caninesports.com/DewClawExplanation.pdf

cant find the study yet - but here is a description by a vet of what they have seen
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Me too, have to say it really worried me that amount of pressure those joints took, in flyball, every time a dog hit the stopper pad, it sent shivers up my spine..........but its OK, because the dogs are not in the show ring ?
Cos its not for looks you see. Just for the owners pleasure.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I did flyball for a few years---I think you are right about the pressure on the front legs, they hit the box at a funny angle at great speed.

Having said that it didn't appear that any dogs I did flyball with were damaged in any way except for my collie x retriever and it would have been a toss up as to what caused any joint damage for him I am sure flyball made its contribution.

As a vet said, anything you do with dogs has a pay back for them. I also think that had he been asked he'd have chosen to do the flyball---he loved it. I wouldn't do it now though.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I hate to see that also, dont know where the show ring comes into the point here at all

It also makes me wince to see really fast dogs do a 2o2o contact at agility because the pressure I see on their shoulders
and it makes me sad as well to see really fast dogs given commands so late that they are tying to turn in mid air - so they land with so much pressure on their joints and sometimes skid

As I have said plenty times I do not agree with everything that goes on in my hobby or any other hobby, Im not going to say everything is hunky dory
all I can do is try and do the best i can for my dogs and try and explain the risks of other things to other people
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Ahh I see your confusion
As a scientist it is actually standard to never say 'X IS the case' things are always quoted something along the lines of 'from the results shown here there is a statistical significance that X MAY be the case'
That is just how scientific research is published
I used to have to send reports to the FDA for the manufacture of penicillin and I could never send a report that would say 'this change is perfectly safe for human use' you would have to say 'From the findings it appears that this batch would likely be safe for human use'

It is just the way things are said, it dosent mean something is in any more doubt than any other study, I appologise I realise that most people are not used to putting forward things in a scientific manner so it looks odd to read

The studies have been posted here in the past but I will try and did them out again

I am trying to find a correct way to put this without putting it in the fuzzy way I have been trained to

In a random selection of agility dogs more dogs who had had their dew claws removed suffered arthritis in that area than did dogs who still had there dew claws
makes sense??
It made sense the first time to me!

rune
Page 11 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »