Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Help with dog night time stress

HI, I am trying to get my dog to sleep in her own bed without much luck.

Last year we went away for the weekend so she stayed in a kennel which we found. It look really nice when visited the kennels were clean and the staff were friendly. However when we picked her up she was covered in dirt, smelt of pee and poo and was very unhappy. Since then she will not stay in her own bed at night, she gets stressed, barks, howls and scratches at the floor, walls and her bed.

We have tried the calming plug in which has not worked. We have tried letting her bark but she just wont stop until we come down.

I heard you can get the calming plugin in a tablet form, however I am very unsure about it as I don''t want to change her as she is a lovely happy dog except at night.

Does anyone know anything about these tablets? or could give me some advice?

Thanks

Jessicanutt
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Other ideas for calming 'naturally' are
Rescue Remedy, did help a bit for myself and my dog in times of stress,
Thundershirt, helped my dog a bit
adaptil collar, same sort of thing as the plug in but a collar, didn't help my dog at all.

Other ideas could be moving your dog's bed closer your own and slowly move it away again.
Doing the opposite, sleeping near your dog and slowly moving back to your own bed.
Buying a new bed/something more cave like and making it a really nice, calm, safe place.
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. I might try the collar.

We have tried getting her a new bed (which she loves), tried moving her to outside our bedroom but still no luck.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2015, 12:52 PM
You could try either Serene-um (most pet shops), or MagiCalm tablets (VetVits). They each use slightly different forms of L-Tryptophan, which is an amino acid rather than a drug. I have found it a useful adjunct for dealing with temporary stress, and it doesn't have a doping effect.
Have a quick Google, and see what you think.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
I'd just put her dog bed at the side of yours where she will most likely settle fine for the night. As her confidence returns you can move her further away if necessary until she is happy sleeping where she used to.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2015, 04:16 PM
My dog, who normally sleeps on a mattress next to my bed spent 5 months being very stressed at night, due to her being partially sighted, I gave her Skullcap and Valerian which you can buy online from Dorwest. I also left a table lamp and the TV on (with the sound turned low) in my living room. It helped her enormously and after about a week she settled down and slept all night.
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you all for your advice. We did try putting her next to bed but she wouldn't settle just kept jumping back on the bed. Will try valerian
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2015, 06:37 PM
My vet has started stocking Pet Remedy, we have the spray version. It's basically very high grade essential oils. I was very hesitant about using it near my ferrets since they aren't supposed to be anywhere near essential oils, maybe it's safer for dogs?
There are lots of calmaid type products on the market, might be worth seeing which your vet recommends, then buying from chemistdirect or even amazon depending on what they recommend. Often a lot cheaper that way. Of course if you need it ASAP you could buy from your vet too. If it works buy somewhere cheaper next time.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Also, as I'm sure you know, don't overlook the importance of getting her really tired. How far are you walking/running with her each day? Any way you could double what you're doing? Maybe you're already trying that, but just my thoughts.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Exercise is not enough. Doing brain work will help alongside exercise. So do lots of things like searching for items. Retrieving and recalling during the day. Maybe a crate, although I like to call them dens, in your bedroom for her to sleep in may help. If she gets stressed you can at least talk to her from your bed without having to get up. Hope she settles soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >