Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
saz-78
New Member!
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Night time nightmare

I have a 13yr old Staffy cross who i have had from the age of 8 wks old. She is used to having me to herself and has never been any trouble before. However my boyfriend has recently moved in and night times have suddenly become a nightmare. She wanders the bedroom for most of the night, scratches at the bed to try and get up with us and is generally unsettled! She only ever behaves like this when my boyfriend stays over so the odd night here and there was bearable, however as he is now a permanent resident and we both need sleep i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to settle her. She has a bed and blankets and even a teddy of her own which she seemed happy with until recently.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need sleep
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Saz dogs are great creatures of habit and many don't like changes.

I would put the bed and a nice thick cosy blanket in the kitchen, hide little treats like pieces of chicken in the bed every now and then so she associates the bed with good things and give her lots of praise when she goes into the bed.

At bedtime lure her to her bed (containing the toy and blanket) with a high value treat like chicken then say nothing/no big fuss and leave the room closing the door behind you. Your dog will soon get used to sleeping there. If she makes a noise don't go in to her or she will quickly learn making a noise will bring you to her. If you want to check on her wait until she is quiet and do so with a minimum of fuss.