Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2014, 11:05 PM

Night Time Barfing?

I don't think it's anything serious and I've read similar stories about other pups...but sometimes Callie will spit up what looks like clear fluid/mucuos. He's a way healthy guy, only bad habit is gobbling his food. Water too, when he drinks it sounds like he sticks his whole face in and inhales. Is it just maybe he has kind of a wet burp sometimes? Last night he got the bed blanket in the middle of the night. Just clear fluid and he gave a snort and went back to sleep. Ideas what it is?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2014, 11:34 PM
DOG VOMITING MUCUS? HERE’S WHY, AND WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT
From an Upset Stomach to Regurgitating Mucus, We've Got Answers
By MARY KEARL. September 18, 2013 | See Comments

VET VERIFIED
PETCARERX STAFF VETERINARIAN
DVM

GASTRITIS (VOMITING)

Your dog vomiting a little after eating too much probably isn't anything new to you. However, every once in a while your dog may vomit mucus for one reason or another. Find out more here on why this sometimes happens.
Vomiting in dogs is often confused with two other health conditions—the regurgitation of food (which is often covered in mucus), and expectoration, or coughing up mucus.

When you tell your vet that your dog has been vomiting mucus, she or he will likely want to rule out regurgitation and coughing as the culprits before determining what’s causing your dog to vomit mucus.
VOMITING IN DOGS
Vomiting does often begin with a form of clear liquid leaving the mouth—drooling. When plagued with nausea, dogs often drool and swallow more than normal. You’ll notice, that unlike in regurgitation, yacking is an active condition—your dog’s stomach will move in effort to bring up whatever’s going to come out of her or his mouth. Bile—usually a yellow or orange liquid—will often be present since this vomit has traveled from the stomach or intestines.

The cause: Some of the causes of vomiting in dogs include digestive issues, diabetes, and kidney failure. If your dog solely vomits foam or a yellow or clear liquid, it could indicate acute gastritis, pancreatitis, intestinal blockage, or other issues.
REGURGITATING IN DOGS
When regurgitating, your dog’s fluids and foods will escape easily—typically in a tube form (shaped like the esophagus it’s just traveled from), covered in a slick layer of mucus—without having to work at it. Your dog may even be as surprised as you are by this occurrence. There may be symptoms of coughing and gagging. Bile is not likely to be present. After regurgitation, your pet may want to eat the food that’s just resurfaced, so speedy cleanup is advised.

The cause: Usually regurgitation is the result of a glitch in the throat, esophagus, or the valve between the esophagus and the stomach.
COUGHING IN DOGS
If you’ve witnessed your dog hacking up mucus or foamy liquids, your pet may be coughing, not vomiting. The parts of the body that move visibly while a dog is coughing are the chest and ribs.

The cause: This symptom could signal a problem with your dog’s esophagus, respiratory system, sinuses, or heart. To learn more, read about gastritis in dogs and coughing in dogs.
More on Dog Health Problems
What Causes Dog Diarrhea with Blood
Why Is My Dog or Cat Losing Weight?
Is Your Dog Eating Poop?
Heartworm Symptoms
10 Symptoms In Older Dogs You Shouldn't Ignore
More Top Stories
What Kind of Dog Are You? A Quiz
Most Popular Dog Names: A State by State Animation
This information is for informational purposes only and is not meant as a substitute for the professional advice of, or diagnosis or treatment by, your veterinarian with respect to your pet. It has, however, been verified by a licensed veterinarian for accuracy.
WAS THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL?

RELATED PRODUCTS

Natural Chemistry Smell & Stains
$14.49
SHOP

Nature's Miracle Advanced Stain & Odor Remover
$20.79
SHOP

Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover
$14.99
SHOP

Simple Solution Stain/Odor Remover
$18.39
SHOP
Thought this might be of interest.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Drinking too much too fast will always make a dog vomit, and the other worry there is, the fact that the dog will inhale a lot of air in the process, which can then cause bloat if they don't/can't burp it out, so my advice is to slow down your puppy's drinking habits.

If it's happened without the dog drinking a lot of water or gulping food, then there would of course be lots of reasons, stomach upset, too much acid in the stomach, no food in the stomach, irritable bowel, etc. etc. etc.

First off, I'd try and slow down that drinking though. I even have to do this with my 6 year old dog, when she wants to gulp down water, otherwise, she chucks it up with bile, sometimes it's just all sticky goo, sometimes, it's just water, and sometimes, it's water and bile and/or sticky goo. The goo can be so sticky sometimes, you could pull it up a foot without it breaking!

Maybe a little bit of live yoghurt at bedtime might help, and of course, a little something before bedtime is always a good thing as otherwise, the stomach is empty far too long overnight and will cause the same thing in the morning.

Good luck, hth