Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
I know they don't have to specify nor would I expect them to do it by size or breed. The onus is on the owner to make sure the garden is secure of course,but surely better guidelines are needed,e.g fence or wall must be At least 5 ft,6 ft or whatever the case might be.
You are asking them to specify though and that's impossible because they don't know the size of your dog! A 6ft fence might seem a reasonable guideline and would keep most dogs in but there will always be some that could scale it so they would need the angled piece at the top - all of which would be a bit OTT for a Yorkshire Terrier! However you look at it, the onus is on the owner - full stop. (No, I don't work for an insurance company! )
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Not correct - we had a very similar situation with our Ben, and our insurance company were spot on. I cannot actually remember who they are - I think Tesco. There was never any doubt that they would not pay next door's vet costs. They questioned us as to the history of the dog, his type, and the thing they were most interested in of all was the fact that Ben's father who was far more athletic than Ben, and Ben's half brother who was a supreme athlete and jumper, had never even attempted to jump out. Danielle should absolutely challenge her insurance company, she has done nothing wrong, and they are totally out of order.
I am talking about animal friends my understanding is they are not good at paying out period,
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I am talking about animal friends my understanding is they are not good at paying out period,

Sorry! I thought you meant ALL insurance companies ... my mistake
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
You are asking them to specify though and that's impossible because they don't know the size of your dog! A 6ft fence might seem a reasonable guideline and would keep most dogs in but there will always be some that could scale it so they would need the angled piece at the top - all of which would be a bit OTT for a Yorkshire Terrier! However you look at it, the onus is on the owner - full stop. (No, I don't work for an insurance company! )
I didn't ask if you worked for an insurance company.
I'm not suggesting they give exact specifications that would be unrealistic, better guidelines. Of course they know the size of your dog or round about, surely you have to put breed on your application.What an owners dog is capable of is up to the owner to determine,I agree but the wording in insurance policies as regards this matter seem pretty flimsy to me.Maybe I'm wrong.
harley quinn
New Member!
Female 

27-06-2013, 05:54 PM
My vet's have sent a breakdown of Harley's treatment and tbh i'm totally shocked at the price of certain things, eg £22.05 for each dressing, which was a bandage and some gauze, which was done x5, £18 for 6 tins of dog food, x rays x4 at £149 each, don't get me wrong the vets were awesome, but really
i do intend to fight the insurance company, as i have stated previously, i thought quite reasonably Harley being fully supervised in a walled garden with no history of jumping would be safe, if i knew my wall was dodgy my kids let alone the dog wouldn't be allowed out to play outside until i was completely convinced it was safe

Danielle xx
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Those prices are horrendous. The whole vet/insurance relationship is a very cosy club that we end up paying for. Every time I got to my vet I dread the parting comment, "lets see him again next week". So that's another £30 consultation fee plus whatever drugs they recommend. Last time I cancelled the third appointment and said he was just fine now thanks. I didn't need the vet to tell me that. They don't seem to have any consideration that each visit is costing the owner another fee. It's a business opportunity. It didn't used to be like that.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not suggesting they give exact specifications that would be unrealistic, better guidelines. Of course they know the size of your dog or round about, surely you have to put breed on your application.What an owners dog is capable of is up to the owner to determine,I agree but the wording in insurance policies as regards this matter seem pretty flimsy to me.Maybe I'm wrong.
They manage to give exact specifications for what sort of LOCK they consider to be adequate for what sort of door.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by harley quinn View Post
My vet's have sent a breakdown of Harley's treatment and tbh i'm totally shocked at the price of certain things, eg £22.05 for each dressing, which was a bandage and some gauze, which was done x5, £18 for 6 tins of dog food, x rays x4 at £149 each, don't get me wrong the vets were awesome, but really
i do intend to fight the insurance company, as i have stated previously, i thought quite reasonably Harley being fully supervised in a walled garden with no history of jumping would be safe, if i knew my wall was dodgy my kids let alone the dog wouldn't be allowed out to play outside until i was completely convinced it was safe

Danielle xx
I recently had my Dobermann x rayed it cost £350 under sedation, for just the one x ray so £149 each is not so bad.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I recently had my Dobermann x rayed it cost £350 under sedation, for just the one x ray so £149 each is not so bad.
I agree , £149 sounds good to me.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2013, 11:25 AM
It was a joke!
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >