Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What function were Pekes originally bred for?
Note I said ANY function

But as far as I am aware these dogs origonal function was to be a lap dog and to possibly carry the robes in the imperial court, so if it is unable to sit and do nothing without overheating then it is not fit for function - as I cant see them using icepacks 2000 years ago

Interesting again seeing people closing ranks when the fact is that after the PDE program the standard for the pekes was reworded to attempt to breed away from the totaly flat faces and give the wee dogs a fighting chance at being able to regulate their own body temperatures

But if you guys think a dog that overheats so easily is healthy then it gives a really good example of why the program needed to be made in the first place as some people are so used to seeing deformed unhealthy dogs that I guess it took some outside eyes to point out that actually that wasnt acceptable
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Is there really any doubt that there are some breeds where exaggerations have gone so far that they are detrimental to their health?
Exactly! No one can deny this, yet this thread is looking like there are people in denial

Equally no one can deny that there are KC registered dogs, that exhibit awful heritable health issues and, even worse, there are those that are winning in the show ring and being bred from.

And before anyone pointlessly comments - nowhere in my post do I say *ALL* KC dogs.......
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Very sad, someone makes a mistake remembering an unhealthy dog begining with a p
We all know what they ment
But rather than face up to the fact that the winning dog was so unhealthy it is far better to try and divert attention by ridiculing her

Dosent change the fact the dog was unhealthy
thankyou, and its water of a ducks back, it was a comment aimed at trying to get a bite, but i decided not to as i didn't want a thread that i was actually learning something in and that was rolling along quiet nicely to descend into another slanging match because i got my p's mixed up. they're both little dogs with flat faces to me, neither are a breed i have any desire to own.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Just spent time checking it out---and I am right. Part of their function was to walk.

rune
Thanks for that, I'm sure most people on here weren't aware of that fact. I'm sure the members on Dogsey are pleased to see you crediting them with such limited intelligence.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Note I said ANY function

But as far as I am aware these dogs origonal function was to be a lap dog and to possibly carry the robes in the imperial court, so if it is unable to sit and do nothing without overheating then it is not fit for function - as I cant see them using icepacks 2000 years ago

Interesting again seeing people closing ranks when the fact is that after the PDE program the standard for the pekes was reworded to attempt to breed away from the totaly flat faces and give the wee dogs a fighting chance at being able to regulate their own body temperatures

But if you guys think a dog that overheats so easily is healthy then it gives a really good example of why the program needed to be made in the first place as some people are so used to seeing deformed unhealthy dogs that I guess it took some outside eyes to point out that actually that wasnt acceptable
Interesting that, like JH, you are making huge assumptions that because one lot of show people behave and think in one way then we all do. Sadly all too predictable as usual.

I don't like the way Pekes look, from my perspective they look like they'd struggle to live a normal life. However, I don't own Pekes and have no knowledge of them as a breed so as far as I'm concerned, although I know how I feel about it, I would at the very least do some honest research about the breed. And that doesn't include watching an extremely biased, sensationalist piece of journalism or spending 10 minutes on Wikipedia.

What country were Pekes created in? Could carrying ceremonial robes be compared to running round a hot show ring several times in as many minutes? Lets not forget that it's apparently about being fit for function, so is it not important to know what the breeds function was when it was created in it's home land?

And before all the anti show folk jump down my neck and try to twist my words, I don't agree with breeding dogs that can't live a normal life, but a normal life in todays society is unlikely to mirror a normal life in ancient society, which is when the breed standards for breeds like Pekes were created. In essence the Peke may well be exactly the way it was meant to be from the standard created (eg not necessarily exaggerated on purpose) many hundreds of years ago, but as the needs of society has changed then perhaps the breed standard needs to reflect this too.

My point being, and I will get there, perhaps it's the role of the modern Peke that has changed, rather than the a Peke itself.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Oh my goodness!

If there was ever a good example of what several of us are saying about people closing their eyes to things the above post is it!

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 05:14 PM
A Pekingese from 1896 is shown here:

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/20...ese-evolution/

They were originally from China
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:21 PM
No I'm not making assumptions, I'm seeing someone who made a valid point about a dog being jumped on and ridiculed
When myself and rune commented again we were shot down
Noone needs to be an expert in the breed to see it isn't healthy, even the breed standard was changed after the show to try and help out the breed
My point is by slagging off and ridiculing someone for saying the dog was unhealthy it makes it look like people are condoning breeding dogs like that
But your latest post makes it seem that you don't
Interesting and sad link to see how far the breed has come in our hands, the original owners would not recognise their breed
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Those who do seem to be 'closing ranks' obviously cannot see it themselves.

They seem to see their posts coming under the heading of 'righteous indignation'.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Those who do seem to be 'closing ranks' obviously cannot see it themselves.

They seem to see their posts coming under the heading of 'righteous indignation'.
Who is closing ranks
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Those who thoroughly DISAGREE with the programme and its contents and just about everything relating to it. They cannot seem to see that it might have 'done some good'.
Closed Thread
Page 37 of 42 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 > Last »