View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Why has the dog got to suffer because you can`t train dogs very well?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
My biggest surprise is that you fele the need to tell everyone on here.
Anyway, Im not going to go dpwn the whole bashing route, so i will do my best to rake thru the best points constructively:

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
However, things took an extremely bad turn for the worse. Ben went for my husband, did not bite him, but it was serious.

If he didnt bite him, what is serious?
Ive had this countless times in my career.
Usually if the dog wanted to bite, then he would have, so that means, emotionally, he is conflicted, he likes you enough to not wish to harm you, but feels the need to create 'safety distance' between yourself and him.
Which is your pertinent piece of information, and should be starting basis.

due to Ben having had a very bad first 3 years of life where clearly he had not only been kept on a running line in the back garden, but had been beaten, kicked or struck in some way, following someone grabbing his collar and then hurting him.

Your second piece of pertinent information for your working basis.

OH took hold of his collar too robustly, and Ben went for him.

This means you are able to identify a problem and a trigger, and indeed, you had.
So the obvious question here would be, once having done so, why did you not respond to your internal logic, ie, look at alternative handling methods?

In addition to this, he and Tai were having terrible fights, serious fights where Tai always got injured.

How did you address this. What managment strategies did you put in place. How did yourselves and the rescues assess the compatibilities between the dog before taking Tai home.

On top of this, Ben started to run off, having previously been pretty obedient off lead. He never ran away, just ran off.

So if he never actually ran away, I would have to ask the question why you would regard this with the seriousness you have attributed it?
To me, the fact he had issues returning to you, yet never felt the desire to run away from you, means, just as the non bite confrontation scenario, Ben has a strong fondess of you guys which is overriding his baser instincts, and he is instead choosing a more constructive, less harmful distance creation strategy to deal with the fearful situations.
So i cannot understand how you have not identified and appreciated the run off yet not running away also as a positive thing?
And then also used that as your pertinent information to build a strategy from, ie, long lines and confidence building exercises.

Over the last 6 or so months, we have tried everything.

With all due respects, and not meaning to sound influenced by the general tone of this thread, one of the things i learnt in all my years in rescue, is when someone used this very statement, they were often indeed the people, whom conversely, hadnt tried everything.
I knew this, as when I asked them to explain what they had tried, they could not give me specific detailed descriptions, but just generalised adjectives like "you know, training".
So you would understand my radar is high now I have read this.

We have consulted several dog trainers and behaviourists in the area and beyond, and we have explored every single training technique, knowing they would not work, but still desperate to give them a go and succeed.

And in light of my paragraph above, this is just a statement that you have been to trainers and techniques etc, yet doesnt describe whom the trainers were, what the technqies were, how long you tried them, how you tried them, what the schedule was, what part everyone in the family played etc, where the training took place, etc, etc.

Explored every single training techqie is quite a sweepng big statement, can you list them for us?

Did, for example, you try Ttouch, guided walking, ground work, clicker, swaddling t-shirts, cognition training, etc, etc?

We were staring failure in the face –

Only if you view all your aforementioned info as dead stops, i can see actual progress and positive opportunties in what you have told us.
I have dealt with many dogs whom have displayed similar behaviours, and used those behaviours to my advantage, and worked from them as a starting basis and then improved the dogs.

Ben was going to have to be kept on the lead the whole time, a fate that I am afraid I would not inflict on any dog, certainly a dog who had been confined to a running line in the back garden for 3 years.

.....no, Ben was going to have to be put on a long line, then over a time of building up cogntion, then confidence, then training, he would be off lead.
Escpecially as he didnt have a run away recall problem, he just had a vicinity recall problem.
I have dogs that have vicinity recall probs, i use techniques that keep that vicinity practice going, such as "where's daddy", yoddling, etc.

One of the trainers suggested an e-collar. I was dead against it, nobody was going to electrocute MY dog, I would not have done to my dog what I would not like done to myself, etc. etc. However, my husband was adamant, he has done a lot of research and reading up and talked to several people who had used an e collar successfully to train their dogs not to chase sheep – we live in serious sheep country here in Northamptonshire – and as he is the one who does the exercising during the week and the general dog care, and has to go searching for Ben every day when he runs off, I really was not in a position to do much about it. He borrowed an e collar with full instructions and a video and to demonstrate to me how safe the device was, he strapped it round his arm and told me to put the collar through its paces. I used the pager device, which is just a vibration then I used the “stim”, set to the lowest setting. I was very very uncomfortable doing this, as I am terrified of electricity, but he told me to keep doing it until we got to the higher levels, when he shrieked and jumped! I dropped the controller unit and burst into tears, I was so upset, and told him never ever ever to use it on Ben, except on the vibrate. He explained to me that he was just winding me up – he has a very black sense of humour – and it hadn’t hurt at all, it was static electricity not current, just like you get when you touch a metal filing cabinet or your car, but I wasn’t convinced. I was extremely concerned, but even I could see we had no choice, unless we were to keep Ben on the lead the whole time, which is just not an option.

So, last Wednesday, Ben wore the collar. As was his wont, the git ran away into the sheep field (currently empty of sheep) on the edge of the wood. OH did his usual thing of calling, whistling, following him with Tai as fast as he could run, but Ben took no notice whatsoever, so he used the vibrate on low. Nothing. He turned it up to the maximum rumble, absolutely nothing, Ben kept on running. He had the stim set to the very lowest, and so pressed the stim button, nothing. He gradually turned up the level and pressed the button (not continuously, just a split second nip), still nothing. He went higher to 30, 50, and at 50 Ben merely shook his head but kept on running. OH went all the way to the maximum, when eventually Ben screeched to a halt, looked at the dot in the far distance behind which was OH trying to catch up with him, and came galloping back to him! He had massive praise, his Fish 4 Dogs treat, and Mike turned round and walked back out of the field into the wood, and the walk proceeded. Ben carried on doing his thing, until they reached a patch of ground the other side of the wood where Ben always runs off. This day was no different. Mike went through the routine of pager, nothing. Stim on low setting, nothing, until he got up to about 80, when Ben yelped and came galloping back to massive hugs and rewards.

Again, my answer to this account would be:
deal with his cognition issues,
deal with his emotions,
deal with his confidence,
then deal with his obedience training,
in the meantime, use a long line.

In other words, look at the whole picture.

Did any of your trainers try long line training, whistle training, prey drive (toy) training?

He has not run away at all since that day last Wednesday. He is still the same old Ben, still arsey, still grumbles if you try to make him do something he does not want to do, still bounds joyfully round the woods, greeting friends old and new, he is exactly the same dog … except he now comes when he is called.

Theirin layeeth the issues, he is still arsey, grumbly, still, has his emotional congitive problems.
You need to deal with these.

On Saturday, we took Ben, me and OH and Tai, back to these same woods. The dog did not put a foot wrong. He was actually a bit quiet, and I was very worried that he was traumatised, psychologically damaged, and gave OH a hard time. The next day, Sunday, we went to Harlestone Firs on the edge of Northampton, and there was Ben roaring around having a whale of a time, greeting all and sundry, but every time I whistled “Ben! Come!” he would come running back to me, skidding to a halt in his haste to be obedient and get his praise and his Fish 4 Dogs.

And don’t think it is the treats – treats alone meant nothing, he loves his treats, but he loved being a hobo more. Now, thanks to the e collar he has the best of both worlds. I frankly cannot see anything wrong in this, we had an extreme situation, a situation which would have taken YEARS to train the dog out of, during which time he would most likely have been shot by a sheep farmer or got run over. He’s the same old Ben, arsey, naughty, playful, greedy, disobedient … but he COMES when he is called. Not always the perfect recall that you will get from a high obedience dog, but a nice recall which is more than good enough for me!

I will probably get castigated for this, but I am not ashamed of what my hubby has done - I wanted to present the "other side" of the e collar debate. There are very exceptional circumstances IMO when it can be justified.
My final question is:
which rescue did yu get him from, do they have post adoption behavioural support, and if they do, did you consult them?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry, but I feel so sorry for the dog.... 6 months is no time, my 4yr old is only just learning recall!! I would never put a barbaric collar on him....
I hope you let him go to a loving home, who can work with him and not against him...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Am I missing something here I thought Gnasher had only ever bred on litter than that was her pointer many years ago, are we now to beleive she Ben and Tai are the result of her using Hal at stud

Gnasher , you say keeping a dog on a lead for its lifetime is the height of cruelty,

Sorry, have to disagree, the height of cruelty for a dog is to inflict pain , over and over again!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I am saddened you don't feel a long line and harness acceptable. They are less cruel than e-collars they cause no pain at all and the dog can have freedom of sorts to sniff and you could jog maybe.

We have some people across the way from us their first dog is a Sibrian Husky I thought total disataer waiting to happen her children are a nightmare but fair do's they are doing really well.

They did let him off once we do not have sheep round here but deer he took off and went across a road and it terrified the life out of them. I explained about harnesses and long lines and if they wanted him to have some off lead time to use one of the many enclosed tennis courts nearby they do have to get in a car to get to them but thats what they do.

Most days he is on a harness and flexi lead and the lady walks him for two+ hours every day mixture of field and road walking he interacts with lots of other dogs and manages very well on his harness and flexi lead and is a very happy boy. The husband walks him in the evenings for at least an hour.

They never let him off now they realised after one frightening episode it was not going to be an option with him although we do have a female sibe lives a couple of estates away and she can be walked off lead through the fields and woods.

So it can be done and no e-collars needed. I really do not understand the logic of keeping a dog on a long line and harness being more cruel than zapping them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Can only agree with whats been said, disappointed, upset and ultimately I feel very sorry for the dog.

You wouldnt expect a puppy you had at 8wks to be well trained at 6mths, yet you chose to electrocute Ben, who in your words had had a bad time previously. Very sad indeed.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Gnasher, I took on a 3yr old Utonagan that had previously been 'professionally trained' using an e-collar (& prong collar!!) & when he first came to us he had fantastic recall, would turn mid air when you blew the whistle & be by you side in an instant. Once he realised he wasn't going to be zapped by us his recall deteriorated very quickly and he is still very much a work in progress nearly 3 yrs on - as is his brother after nearly 6yrs.
Could your OH not find an enclosed, safe area to allow him off-lead and use a longline on walks? I'm sure you've mentioned cycling along the tow path with them, could he not do this more often?
We run with our Ute's in harness, hike, have a dog scooter & invest a lot of time & energy keeping them fit & happy but we knew all this from the beginning. They really enjoy being in harness too.
Is it not worth considering alternative forms of exercise? That prey drive is always going to be there.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Ontop of everything else already put forward very well by everyone else here
I am concerned by the method used with the e collar

Of course not that I agree with them anyway, but I thought to teach a recal the working level for the shock had to be found and the dog taught in a safe environment that returning to the owners caused the shock to stop

forgive me if I am wrong here but it sounds like the collar was strapped on him with him having no idea what it was or why it was there (I am even sadder to since hear that he used to associate his collar with pain and nasty stuff happening - which you have since worked on building his trust till his collar can be touched and he dosent think pain is comming - now that trust has been broken again)

He did what he normaly did - ran off
He heard the usual meaningless background noise he usualy hears (you guys yelling at him to come back - I know you will disagree but if he isnt comming back and you are keeping calling then he isnt being stubborn or bad, he has no idea you want him back because your recal words are just meaning less background noise to him now)
Then he felt a buzzing in his neck

He had no idea what it ment
Whether it startled him, hurt him, scared him - whatever - he had no way of knowing it was you wanting him to return to you

Then he felt a strange shock
It took him by surprise, hurt a little, caused him to shake his head - but again he had no idea what it ment, so he carried on

Then he felt a BIG sharp shock (maximum setting - I am quite scared by the idea of that)
it hurt him and scared him, so he returned to his people for comfort and saftey

It seems that he is a smart boy and figured it had something to do with your yelling background noise and it shocked him so much that at the moment he doesent want to risk it to see if it will happen again so he is coming right back to you incase this VERY NASTY thing happens again

But the first time he tests it without the collar on and realises he doesnt get hurt again then your recal is gone
The first time something is more important to him than the fear of the pain - then his recal is gone

You have not been fair to him, you have not trained him and proofed for different distractions

You wanted a push button remote control training method, a lazy quick fix
You didnt even use the method correctly and the fallout is going to be nasty

Im sorry, I am sorry you dont trust your own instincts enough to tell your husband NOT to electricute your dog
I wish you would trust yourself more and not be blinded by his 'research' because reading what you have said here he did not correctly research how to use the collar and your poor boy is set up for a massive fail as he is not trained - mearly scared just now and if your husband dosent understand how to follow up the 'training' then that recal is going to fall appart faster than it appeared
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
We have tried everything LS, you know me, I would NEVER be cruel to a dog. It was this, or he would have to be rehomed. And believe me, there are not many people who would have put up with what we have gone through over the last 6 months.
Which is why I am hoping you will ditch the collar. I know things can be hard. I find it tougher now, given time and physical constraints with a young child and a baby, to put in the effort needed with Loki - you know how, erm, let's say 'spirited' he is. You ought to see me wearing the baby in his sling, trying to have a controlled walk. A few weeks ago, I found myself pulled through the wet, muddy field as though I were wearing skis - I gave this bemused looking woman a cheery wave as we careered past her. I am laughing although I know it was far from ideal. Yet this morning, I had him sitting patiently while a sworn enemy (a dog who has, in the past, leapt out of a bush for his throat) got dragged away, lunging and snarling at him. Sardine treats work wonders at times, although even that isn't ideal.

But I wouldn't go down the route of e-collars, not even if posts like mine get dragged up as so-called 'need' for them by some - Loki deserves much better - I would feel I had failed him. There is some excellent advice and suggestions from people on here - I'm sure you could gets lots of help, even if it was to point you in the direction of one good trainer.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Gnasher there are many many people who 'go through what you went through'. Luckily for the dogs there are also many many people who find great ways to get their dogs to trust them. You don't get a medal for 'rescuing' an abused dog and deciding you can't cope so proceeding to abuse him in a different way.

A dog that grumbles has issues and those need to be sorted out so that he learns that he is not challenged by any of the humans around him.

You are a great example of why CM's methods DON'T work. Challenging dogs is stupid and challenging insecure screwed up dogs is even more stupid. That someone who regularly spouts off about all they know about dogs it goes a stage further than stupid IMO.

KW's post was excellent, what a shame you didn't ask for help before you allowed the poor dog to be treated like that.

TBH if it had been me the OH would have worn the dam thing not the abused dog.

rune
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 83 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 62 > Last »