Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-04-2012, 06:55 AM

Some Newbie to Raw Questions

1. If I'm right in what I've researched Veggies need to be purified if dogs are to get the benefit from them?

2. Frozen Veg is blanched before freezing. So, could you just defrost and chuck some in a blender before serving?

3. Feeding Eggs. Did I pick up than you just chuck the whole egg in, including the shell?

4. I was browsing the Freezers in Tesco yesterday and they sell Market Value 'Chicken Bits' which is drums, thighs and legs' Assume it is OK to defrost and feed these?

Thanks
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Pulverising the veg breaks down the cell walls so dogs can utilise them better.

I just defrost and chuck in. I don't cook fresh veg either.

You can feed shell as well.

Some people do feed drumsticks etc., and have no problems I tend not too as they are weight bearing bones so tuffer and may break teeth. It is personal choice like feeding veggies or not.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Frozen vegetables have already been blanched therefore there is no need to blend. Just defrost. I do not buy frozen veggies but prep [dice] fresh, open freeze and then pack, and defrost what is needed each day/every two days. Pereg has rather a lot of vegetables!

Eggs she has raw - and as she has a bone meal every other day I do not bother giving her he eggshells for calcium as I reckon she has enough.

Chicken drumsticks no. Chicken wings, carcases, backs, turkey necks yes. I have not as yet tried turkey wings but would definitely not give her any weight-bearing bones.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Pulverising the veg breaks down the cell walls so dogs can utilise them better.

I just defrost and chuck in. I don't cook fresh veg either.

You can feed shell as well.

Some people do feed drumsticks etc., and have no problems I tend not too as they are weight bearing bones so tuffer and may break teeth. It is personal choice like feeding veggies or not.
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Frozen vegetables have already been blanched therefore there is no need to blend. Just defrost. I do not buy frozen veggies but prep [dice] fresh, open freeze and then pack, and defrost what is needed each day/every two days. Pereg has rather a lot of vegetables!

Eggs she has raw - and as she has a bone meal every other day I do not bother giving her he eggshells for calcium as I reckon she has enough.

Chicken drumsticks no. Chicken wings, carcases, backs, turkey necks yes. I have not as yet tried turkey wings but would definitely not give her any weight-bearing bones.
thanks, very informative
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
1. If I'm right in what I've researched Veggies need to be purified if dogs are to get the benefit from them?

2. Frozen Veg is blanched before freezing. So, could you just defrost and chuck some in a blender before serving?

3. Feeding Eggs. Did I pick up than you just chuck the whole egg in, including the shell?

4. I was browsing the Freezers in Tesco yesterday and they sell Market Value 'Chicken Bits' which is drums, thighs and legs' Assume it is OK to defrost and feed these?

Thanks
I never purify my vegetables, I just puree them.........

2 Yes, same as if they are not frozen but fresh.

3 If you feed eggshell it MUST be powdered otherwise it will exit the same way it entered. This is if you wish the calcium in shell to be absorbed by the dogs.

4 I feed all parts of chicken including feet, livers carcases etc.

As I feed TURKEY drumsticks, my dogs think nothing of eating chicken drumsticks.

But if you have a dog that does not have strong enough jaws or teeth to cope with these, and you are worried then do not feed anything you feel they cannot manage.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I never purify my vegetables, I just puree them.........

2 Yes, same as if they are not frozen but fresh.

3 If you feed eggshell it MUST be powdered otherwise it will exit the same way it entered. This is if you wish the calcium in shell to be absorbed by the dogs.

4 I feed all parts of chicken including feet, livers carcases etc.

As I feed TURKEY drumsticks, my dogs think nothing of eating chicken drumsticks.

But if you have a dog that does not have strong enough jaws or teeth to cope with these, and you are worried then do not feed anything you feel they cannot manage.
thanks...purified / pureed....deary me, i need another espresso
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2012, 08:14 AM
I understood that you should remove the very thin needle of bone that runs down the thigh as it is very sharp and can cause injury.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I feed my 5 on raw but have always believed that its best not to give weight bearing bones. I sometimes use frozen mixed veg which I defrost and put in blender. I have found that if I dont put the veg in the blender the dogs dont process it properly and then a couple of the spaniels with want to devour the waste as it contains undigested veg!!Lovely habit - NOT...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=nickmcmechan;2498238]1. If I'm right in what I've researched Veggies need to be purified if dogs are to get the benefit from them?

I don`t feed veg. Except they get leftovers. I think you`re meant to puree them.

Yup.

Yup. My mob love these.
Since dogs eat whole chickens I fail to see why one bone should be dangerous. My lot wolf it all down anyway.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 04:38 PM
As far as I know cooking veg destroys the nutrients and dogs absorb very little nutrients found in veg anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >