Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Jimmi not right after booster

I just wondered if anyone else has had anything similar after a booster injection?

He went for his annual MOT on Tuesday, which was all fine, and had his booster; he had one last year and was absolutely fine, and the previous year he had the full course as he was a rescue.

Yesterday, he clearly felt sick with lots of licking and gulping and kept going out to eat grass. Instead of snoozing or outright sleeping during the day, he seemed restless and would lie with his head up and eyes open. Same thing today, and he was not his normal self on his walk, sometimes even putting his tail down. He has eaten just as enthusiastically as ever, and his poops are fine.

He does seem a bit perkier tonight, so perhaps whatever it was is passing - but I do wonder if it might be linked to that jab.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Could be, some are a bit off for a few days and then tney settle. Ring your vet if uneasy xx
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Could be, some are a bit off for a few days and then tney settle. Ring your vet if uneasy xx
I agree with this but after reading about vaccines etc I have actually stopped automatically giving boosters. You can give certain boosters only once every three years.

Hope jimi recovers soon, it maybe just knocked him a bit and he will be fine but as said above, if your uneasy/jimmis unsettled give them a call.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes, I would guarantee it!! Do you know what he had? If it was a Lepto one, then I would bet my bottom dollar that is the problem! Annual boosters nowadays are usually for kennel cough and lepto, so unless he had his full 3 or 5 year vaccine done which I doubt, then you can probably put it down to the lepto.

I had the very same thing with Zena when she had her initial ones done, and the vet told me it would be that and that it would only last 24 hours, so I don't have it done now and won't ever be having it done again.

Poor little Jimmikins, I do hope he's getting better by the hour.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, I would guarantee it!! Do you know what he had? If it was a Lepto one, then I would bet my bottom dollar that is the problem! Annual boosters nowadays are usually for kennel cough and lepto, so unless he had his full 3 or 5 year vaccine done which I doubt, then you can probably put it down to the lepto.

I had the very same thing with Zena when she had her initial ones done, and the vet told me it would be that and that it would only last 24 hours, so I don't have it done now and won't ever be having it done again.

100 % agree with H, my dogs are titre tested before they have puppy vax & then I don't vax again
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:06 PM
When my Sharpei had his first booster he was so ill I nearly lost him. The vet agreed it was probably a severe reaction to the vaccine. He was never vaccinated again.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I hope Jimmi feels better soon, beautiful chap. Jin sends her upmost love
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Don't worry, I will be ringing tomorrow if still worried

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I agree with this but after reading about vaccines etc I have actually stopped automatically giving boosters. You can give certain boosters only once every three years.

Hope jimi recovers soon, it maybe just knocked him a bit and he will be fine but as said above, if your uneasy/jimmis unsettled give them a call.
I did um and ahh a little before doing it this time.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

Not sure what was in it, as natch I forgot to take his vaccination card in with him I certainly will not be doing it again, and actually never did it with our other dogs past a certain age. I am somewhat relieved that you and others have had this sort of reaction, because at least I can stop worrying about other things being the cause.......I have been sitting with him for an hour or so and he is now fast asleep.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
100 % agree with H, my dogs are titre tested before they have puppy vax & then I don't vax again
I am not going to do it again.

Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
When my Sharpei had his first booster he was so ill I nearly lost him. The vet agreed it was probably a severe reaction to the vaccine. He was never vaccinated again.
How horrible for you, and thank goodness you didn't lose your boy.

Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
I hope Jimmi feels better soon, beautiful chap. Jin sends her upmost love
Thanks Jeanna, and I will pass on Jin's love The very thought of her might just make him feel better!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Hope Jimmi is much better this morning, he should be?

A little tip. Next time he's due for the big one, ask them to leave out the lepto, so for instance, if it's Nobivac it will be DHPPI instead of DHPPIL (the L being the lepto on the end). You have every right to choose for your own dog, don't just let them zap it in without questioning it is my advice! Once bitten and all that old bean!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I am sorry to hear Jimmi isn't well I hope he is feeling better today.

Our vet only vaccinates every 3 years and they are open to disucssion if we decide we don't want it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >