Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Where are all the wasps?

I'm not particulary complaining because wasps are a pain but has anyone else noticed that there's hardly any around this year?

We've had quite a few bees in the garden which is great as i plant things to attract them and i expect when the tree that comes over our fence comes into blossom then there will be many more but i haven't seen a single wasp this year.

Very odd.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Its normally end of July and august they come round making a nuisance of themselves and i am sure they will turn up all in good time. Mind you i won't complain if they don't as they terrify me.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Do you know, that's a very good point, I have only seen a handfull, ahh so it's too early? Damn, I hate wasps
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Its normally end of July and august they come round making a nuisance of themselves and i am sure they will turn up all in good time. Mind you i won't complain if they don't as they terrify me.
Yes it's a bit early yet.
Or it could be because my hubby killed off about 3 Queen wasps in the spring to stop them building nests.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm glad there's none around - hate them

This might be interesting ree Bees tho: Bee gone
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
There was one in my treat bag at the training class last Wednesday. Fortunately someone saw it fly in and warned me otherwise I might have put my hand in and got stung
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I did see a huge on or maybe it was a hornet on the fence the other day. We have lots of bees which I don't mind at all.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I have a lot of bumble bees in my garden lately, and a lot of them are very tiny, and look half dead lying on the lawn I'm wondering about that too? Too early for those nasty wasps though thank goodness, but why are the bumble bees so small and wilted this year? I tried to save some of them, mostly coz I didn't want the dogs treading on them, maybe they already had and that's why they were half dead? It's a mystery!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
No the wasps are definitely around. There have been a few in the conservatory already this year. I get a bit worried cos the dogs try to snap up flying things if they are low enough!! I dont like wasps cos i think they are mean and can be vindictive but i like bumble bees lol x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Wasps are August/Sept usually. Horrid things! I am petrified of them and this warm summer will be rife with the ******s.

Has anyone else had HEAPS of bees this year? I'm not sure if it's because the honeysuckle established and then straight after that the Jasmine flowered but we have had literally 10-20 a day at any one time!!