View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Toilet training still not happening at 5 months, behaviorist good idea?

Ok so Maisy is 5 months on Friday and is still not house trained. Here are the basic points;
*She can hold it all night in her crate, almost 9 hours sometimes, until she cries for us to let her out.
*She is still not wee'ing on walks unless we do the 'go wee' command. in fact she only wee's ever if we give the 'go wee' command.
*She will go in the garden and then come back in, within 20 mins and wee in the house.
Example; she was out in the garden and did 2 quite large wee's, within 10 minutes she wee'd in the house, no warning, no sniffing just squatted and did it. So we cant even predict it.
*She is fed JWB dry puupy food, and drinks normal amounts of water not excessive.

We treat her like a really young pup, taking her out in the garden every half hour, as soon as she wakes, after she eats , and after play. Give her treats and praise when she does it right. To be honest im exhausted.

I took her to the vets at the weekend, and he checked her for diabetes, urine infection, and did something with tweezers up her bum to see if she had control. All of which results were clear. He suggested I get the help of a behaviorist and gave me a number , do you think this is a good idea?? have any of you used a behaviorist for anything similar??

Im guessing it wont be cheap, but we really need to resolve this issue, before its too late and she cannot be housetrained at all. She is not a stupid dog, she sits, lies down, gives paw, and leave it on command. She just cant get the toilet training , and I dont know what more we can do
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:13 PM
do you think your over stressing about it? the dog could be picking up on this and getting stressed hence the behaviour is snowballing?
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
do you think your over stressing about it? the dog could be picking up on this and getting stressed hence the behaviour is snowballing?
I am pretty stressed about it yes, I guess she could be picking up on that, im getting married in Sept and iv stressed less about that so far than I have about her wee'ing. Im really concerned we will never break this habit now, maybe I really need to be less strssed, but its so hard
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:23 PM
im sure I read somewhere that westies can be really hard to toilet train,im not sure thought how much truth there is in that,

im off to look for some links for you be right back
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:24 PM
You are not alone . I have had dogs like this and others who were just fantastic . In the end they were all house trained it just takes different lengths of time .
When she does go outside do you make a huge and I mean HUGE fuss about how clever she is ?
Do you restrict her to the room you are in so there can be no furtive peeing ?
Do you clean up with something which takes away the smell ?
It's up to you of course but if you are doing all the right things then I think it will eventually click
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:26 PM
this may help

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/toileting/general.shtml
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
You are not alone . I have had dogs like this and others who were just fantastic . In the end they were all house trained it just takes different lengths of time .
When she does go outside do you make a huge and I mean HUGE fuss about how clever she is ?
Do you restrict her to the room you are in so there can be no furtive peeing ?
Do you clean up with something which takes away the smell ?
It's up to you of course but if you are doing all the right things then I think it will eventually click
She is restricted to the kitchen so mess can be wiped up, We make loads of fuss when she does it right, the nieghbours must think were nuts when we make such a fuss out in the garden, its cleaned up with PAH deodorising spray as soon as its seen. We dont very often catch her in the act, you just need to take your eys off her for 1 second and she does it
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Is Maisy going in the same places in the house?
Its improtant to make sure you remove the scent because they often will toilet there again.
It very diffucult to know the reason why. Maybe you could give a little more info. How did you housetrain? How would you describe her personality.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
this may help

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/toileting/general.shtml
An interesting read, thanks, I might try the vinegar trick
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Petstalk View Post
Is Maisy going in the same places in the house?
Its improtant to make sure you remove the scent because they often will toilet there again.
It very diffucult to know the reason why. Maybe you could give a little more info. How did you housetrain? How would you describe her personality.
*she goes in different places all around the kitchen, I have scrubbed and scrubbed the floor on my hands and knees with biological powder, PAH deodoriser, odour stop, everything!
*she was paper trained by breeder as we picked her up at 12 weeks, she was a late leaver. we carried on with paper training for a few days so she could settle in on her first week, then moved the soiled paper outside which was when she started going outside, since then its been taking her out all the time and giving her lots of praise when she does it right. We were saying 'ah ah' and taking her straight out if we caught her in the act, but been advised on here not to correct her inside, only to praise her when she does it right.
*Personality wise, she loves people, gets very excited by new people/children, she is very friendly with other dogs, and shows lots of curiosity when out and about sniffing etc. She is still a bit scared when a large car or big van etc goes past, but other than that she is pretty outward bound.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >