Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:27 PM

New dog bed, can't decide.

Monty has pretty much outgrown the basket he was given by my sister as her staffy wouldn't use it. This has left me with a dilemma.

I think i want to get him a full size bed/basket next as he's growing so fast and it just makes sense to me.

At the moment he has a plastic basket with cushions and blankets in which he loves. But then he also loves to lounge on a soft thick rug at my mums house.

So i can't decide whether to get him a large plastic blanket and some more blankets/cushions to fill it out or one of these soft cushiony type beds.

My concern is that with the cushiony bed is that being so young he will destroy it.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Esmed I would stick with the plastic bed and cushions until Monty has finished teething then get him a posh bed .

I think the flat cushion type beds are ok in the summer but in the winter I like a bed with sides to keep out the draughts
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think you're probably right as he's starting to enjoy destroying stuff!!

They had big plastic baskets in my local Tesco of all places this week but they were bright pink and just couldn't allow myself to let the little guy sleep in a pink basket!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Definitely DO NOT put him in a pink bed, poor guy! ;o)

We only bought Woody a fancy one because it was cheap, before then he was on two big old cushions, wrapped in a fleece blanket .

He's not getting a big boy bed until he stops teething as Mini suggests. Best to do the same. ;o)
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I think I let myself get clouded by the fact he never destroys his own things!! I won't risk it though as they're not cheap some of these beds!

He's really taken to just lounging in front of the fire so think I might get him a cheap cushion from ikea to do that with!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Murphy was a b*gger for destroying soft beds when he was younger....

He ripped/chewed/ate 8 cushion beds (and 2 quilts) in about a year, so we stopped using soft beds!!

However, now he is 18 months old, and has grown up a bit, I am hoping that I will be able to introduce a soft bed again. We use a quilt in the car, and one in front of the fire; but vet bed and blankets in the kitchen at night. With any luck, I will start to try a single quilt for them at night...
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Where did you get woodys posh bed ?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:41 AM
We have a friend who is a breeder and registered at the wholesalers. She let me go along once and I picked out some stuff at wholesale prices!

We're very lucky. It was £70 or so RRP but we got it for £23!! He looks like he'll out grow it soon though which is a shame as it's a great bed and that's the biggest size I think.

Woody doesn't chew his bed, he humps it instead ;o0
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Seems that Monty has answered my question for me as when i came home for lunch today he had taken the cushion from underneath his blanket and his hot water bottle. He had destroyed them but I'm sure the thought had crossed his mind.

He was asleep on the cushion in the middle of the floor when i got back and looked at me as if to say "I was going to but then i realised i'd have nothing to sleep on tonight!"

He has massively improved in his toileting anyway with only one little accident and it was right by the door so he's getting there!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:32 PM
i now how it feels hun its always hard, i did find a great shop on ebay and they did a tough soft bed that was none chewable,,, well i thought why not give it a try and it has been with me ever since. its 3yrs old this aug hun. it might pay t have a look good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >